7 Trendsetting Ways to Make Skinny Jeans Cool Again
Everyone always seems to be hatin’ on skinny jeans, but it’s time to be honest with ourselves — slim-fit denim isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Period. Velvet bodysuits, shimmery platforms and belt bags might eventually find themselves going the way of the dodo, but you just can’t knock a wardrobe staple, ya dig? If you’ve fallen out of love with your favorite pair of skinnies, we’re here to help bring the passion back. Below, we’ve paired up seven rad pairs of denim with everything from statement sweaters to faux fur coats and celestial dresses to kickstart a little creativity in the denim department. If they don’t reinstate your obsession with your formerly fave jeans, then we don’t know what will.
1. Mango Patches Knitted Sweater ($70) + Mango Skinny Sequin Jeans ($80): Here’s an effortless way to spice up daytime dressing — just add sequins. Embellished denim toes the line between after-hours cool and daytime chic, making them a must for lazy Saturdays that spontaneously turn into wild nights out on the town. Play it cool by balancing out the OTT shimmer with a snuggly patchwork sweater and a fresh pair of Stan Smiths.
2. J.Crew Garland Hoop Earrings ($65) + Topshop Moto Burgundy Velvet Jamie Jeans ($75): Who doesn’t love a pair of denim that can go undercover at the office? When styled alongside a printed bow neck blouse, sleeveless blazer and glam hoop earrings, these burgundy beauties instantly take on a professional edge.
3. Topshop Patchwork Oversized Fur Stole ($68) + Madewell High-Rise Skinny Jeans in Polly Wash ($128): Even if you don’t have access to a souped-up pair of skinny jeans, you can make a tried-and-true pair feel like a million bucks with the addition of a faux fur stole, a black turtleneck and buckle-embellished loafers. If that doesn’t scream It girl in training, we don’t know what does.
4. Topshop Moto Limited Edition Floral Embroidered Jamie Jeans ($140) + Jeffrey Campbell Jena-PRL Shoes ($165): Feeling flirty? This saucy duo is ready to make a beeline for your heart. Floral embroidery is straight-up goals as far as denim matters go, especially when a pair of pretty pearl pumps are added to the mix. The only missing from this dream team? An ethereal blouse and elegant drop earrings. Swoon.
5. Alix Black Houston Bodysuit ($225) + Zara Embrace Original Colorful Jeans ($50): Hello, gorgeous. A cool pastel hue changes the flavor of a pair of standard skinny jeans, but the wow-factor really comes in with the addition of a cutout bodysuit that shows just a hint of skin. Worn with a pair of pointed-toe Chelsea boots and a longline coat, it’s a shoo-in for a casual second date or catch-up sesh with the girls.
6. Pixie Market Green Collar Leopard Faux Fur Coat ($249) + & Other Stories Studded Jeans ($95): Sometimes you just need to unleash your inner glamazon, and that’s when you should turn to a bold leopard print faux fur coat like this. Pop it on at the first sign of #OOTD boredom, proceeding to pair it with studded skinny jeans for a getup that we think Joan Jett, Kate Moss or Rihanna would approve of. Fierce doesn’t even begin to cover it.
7. H&M Satin Dress ($50) + Zara Metallic Jeans ($60): Go intergalactic for an afternoon of running errands or casual Friday at the office with a pair of metallic jeans and a star-studded dress, for a casually cool ensemble that feels out of this world. Metallic booties and an architectural top-handle bag further the modern feel and are guaranteed to score you some bonus points at the water cooler.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.