How to Hack Starbucks Bacon & Gruyere Sous-Vide Egg Bites
We’re huge fans of the low-carb, keto-friendlysous-vide egg bites from Starbucks, but as much as we love the bacon-gruyere-filled breakfast, we can’t splurge on them everyday of the week. That’s why we decided to give it a hacked go at home. These egg bites are totally easy to make-ahead, so you can cook them on a Sunday and reheat them in the microwave throughout the week. You can even mix up the ingredients and try different combinations to keep things interesting.
SOUS-VIDE BACON & GRUYERE EGG BITES
(Makes 4 egg bites)
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- a few dashes of hot sauce
- nonstick spray, for rimming mason jars
- 4 pieces of bacon, cooked until semi-crispy but still malleable
- 1/4 shredded gruyere cheese, plus more for topping
- large pot
- sous-vide circulator
- small, wide-mouthed 4-ounce Mason jars
- culinary torch (optional)
1. Fill a pot with water. Attach the sous vide, and set it to 167˚F.
2. Meanwhile, add cottage cheese, eggs, Monterey cheese, salt, and hot sauce into a blender, and blend until purée forms.
3. Grease 4 small, wide-mouthed Mason jars with cooking spray.
4. Halve each piece of bacon into a “v.” Place each piece onto the bottom of each jar. It’s okay if bacon wraps around edges of jars. Sprinkle gruyere over bacon.
5. Divide egg mixture into jars, filling to the line. Screw lids on the jar.
6. Use tongs to place jars into the sous vide. Sous vide eggs until they are completely set, about 35 minutes.
7. Guide a butter knife around the edges of the jar to loosen the eggs from the sides, flip them over onto a plate to remove.
8. If you prefer the tops to be crispy, either set them in the oven on a sheet pan to broil, or melt cheese on top using a culinary torch.
(Recipe via Brit + Co; styling by Alonna Morrison / Brit + Co; photos via Brittany Griffin / Brit + Co)