The 4 Must-Have Dress Silhouettes for Spring
Spring means the start of all those fabulous rooftop soirees, backyard barbecues and outdoor bashes, so of course you’ll need a few fresh pieces to liven up your party-approved wardrobe. But this season, we’re looking to some new, on-trend silhouettes to get us through spring in style. From boyish shirt dresses (a designated Jenna Lyons must-have) to dramatic dropped waists, these fresh takes on classic frocks are sure to turn heads and rack up the style points.
This double-layered style creates the illusion of a crop top, but without the belly-bearing break. Why do we love it? It not only gives your look texture and depth, but it also highlights the waist, which is always a good thing.
1. Taylor Dresses Stripe Jacquard Popover Fit & Flare Dress ($138): Bright, preppy stripes and a classic A-line silhouette get a modern update with a trendy popover detail and pockets.
2. ASOS Jacquard Prom Bandeau Midi Dress With Crop Top ($175): This dress is just like, whoa. Its fun, flirty style makes it the ideal party dress, while the faux crop top means you can rock it at all those fancy weddings you’ve got lined up.
3. ASOS Double Layer Maxi Dress in Gorgeous Floral Print ($101): This flowy, flowery number will take you from Sunday brunch to date night with ease. Pair it with a floppy hat and sandals for your daytime adventures and then throw on a cropped leather jacket at night to add a little edge (and warmth).
4. Erin Fetherston Birdie Dress ($325): Trade in your LBD for something on the lighter side this spring. We think this glam silver piece with textured jacquard and a popover top will do just fine.
5. Simply Be 2 Layered Jacquard Dress ($100): This shimmery jacquard number has some serious staying power. It’s got all the versatility of a classic black dress, but with a touch of glitz, making it your new go-to for everything from date night to drinks with the girls. For spring, pair it with bright strappy sandals and a clutch with plenty of personality.
The Dropped Waist Dress
If you’ve already got legs for days but want to show your middle a little love, then a dropped waist is the way to go. It balances the upper and lower body, creating the illusion of an elongated torso.
6. Vero Moda Drop Waist Dress ($25): Simple. Chic. Dress. This pale pink pastel frock has the perfect amount of flow and will work for just about any occasion.
7. Ganni Drop Waist Dress in Bold Flower Print ($184): The relaxed-fit shirt style and leafy green print feel anything but stuffy. Throw on this casual dress to tackle that ever-growing list of errands or pair it with a few polished metallic accessories for a laid-back date night look.
8. ASOS Shift Dress with Drop Waist and Pleated Skirt ($65): Preppy side pleats spice up this simple shift dress for a unique look that is both effortless and chic.
10. CeCe by Cynthia Steffe Floral Print Drop Waist Dress ($148): Bright, cheery blooms and a ruffled skirt pep up this simple white dress for a fresh garden party-inspired vibe that’s both sweet and stylish.
The Retro Mini Dress
Fashion is obsessed with the ’60s and ’70s right now, so it’s no surprise that mini dresses in retro shapes are making a strong showing in stores. And we’re totally okay with that. The short hemlines and youthful look are all about having fun, which is something we can definitely get on board with.
11. Reformation Cali Dress ($78): The best part of this throwback mini dress? Besides the on-point styling, it’s fashion you can feel good about. Reformation donates 25% of the sales generated from their site to support sustainability education at the MUSE School.
12. Topshop Daisy Jacquard Shift Dress ($95): Channel your inner Marsha Brady in a funky floral frock. Wear it with white platform sandals or mules and a mini crossbody bag for a fashion-forward touch.
13. Swing Dress In ’70s Paisley Print ($52): Nothing says retro like paisley. And this high-neck, brightly colored dress makes for the ultimate springtime style.
15. Topshop D-Ring Fitted Dress ($130): Forget modern — go mod. A cool cat eye, turtleneck sweater and chelsea boots will play up the ’60s flavor of this fitted A-line dress.
The Shirt Dress
Okay, so the shirt dress isn’t a totally shocking choice for spring, but since it looks like the menswear trend isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, we think it makes the perfect addition to any wardrobe. Plus, it’s a refreshing break from the more classic v-shaped and crew-style necklines.
16. Glamorous Linen Stripe Midi Shirt Dress ($83): This striped number has us dreaming of sandy beaches dotted with cabanas. Layer it over frayed cutoffs and ankle boots for a cool off-duty look, or wear it with polished pumps and understated drop earrings for a killer 9-to-5 getup.
17. River Island Dark Floral Shirt Dress ($89): Not feeling the bright springtime florals? Go for a darker floral and white accents for a sweet ‘n’ chic B&W look.
18. Fred Perry Twin Tipped Dress ($130): Preppy is in, meaning it’s totally okay to pull out the polos. We’re liking the idea of this crazy comfortable Fred Perry polo dress paired with menswear-inspired flats for an unexpected, edgy take on a timeless topper.
19. Monki Printed Longline Shirt Dress ($65): This oversized dress is the perfect morning grab. The bright ink blot print adds a punch of color that needs little embellishment, so you can throw it on and go. Layer it over leggings when temperatures dip, or go bare, pairing it up with chunky heeled sandals or platform oxfords.
20. Nasty Gal Middle Ground Shirt Dress ($68): A black center panel gives this flirty shirt dress a sporty touch. Perfect for work or play, you can wear it with boyish brogues and a blazer.
Which silhouette is your favorite for spring? Do you have a go-to dress in the warmer months? Tell us in the comments!