18 Healthy Alternatives to Satisfy Your Starch Cravings
We don’t know about you, but when the weather gets cold, we’re in a constant state of craving starchy, gooey comfort food. So, we figured, why not compile a list of crave-fulfilling dishes that will simultaneously keep us happy and not totally put us out for the count? So here we go — sweet potato, yucca, cauliflower and everything in between. All the dishes below are healthy, easy to make and will keep your belly overjoyed.
1. Three for The Price of One: Not one, not two, but three mashed potato alternatives come tucked inside this one post. We’re talking celery root and sage, creamy cauliflower and parsnip and carrot. (via Brit + Co)
2. Radish Mashed Potatoes: Add some fresh and unexpected ZING to your mashed potatoes by replacing half of those potatoes with radishes. It enhances the flavor and divides the calories in half! (via Cowen Park Kitchen)
5. Cheesy Mashed White Beans: Don’t let your eyes deceive you. This is a 100% potato-less mashed potato alternative that gives you all the gooey- cheesy goodness you are craving with a fraction of the calories. (Via Amuse Your Bouche)
1. Baked Yucca Fries: If you haven’t tried yucca fries yet, run, do not walk to the kitchen, make these and eat all of them. They taste like fries but are 100% fry-less (and that roasted jalapeño aioli ain’t bad either). (via Brit + Co)
4. Baked Avocado Fries: Now for a real treat. This baked crispy outer shell gives way to creamy and light avodaco inside. Your craving for fries will be filled, and you might even find yourself craving these babies the next time. (via Crème de la Crumb)
7. Parmesan Eggplant Fries: For a fry with a meatier texture and depth of flavor, try these baked parmesan-crusted eggplant fry alternatives. You can also add some spice and garlic to your ketchup to kick it up a notch! (Via The Mighty Mrs)
1. Spaghetti Squash Pasta: If you’re like us, pasta is the be-all and end-all of crave-able starch, but this fabulous spaghetti squash dish hits the spot with all all the essentials — creamy, gooey and delicious. (via Brit + Co)
3. Twice Baked Spaghetti Squash ‘n’ Cheese: This list would not be complete without the most comforting of dishes — mac ‘n’ cheese. Luckily, we have a starch-free, gluten-free option that is delicious, calorie friendly and exactly what you want… right now. (Via B. Britnell)
6. Cheesy Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Noodles: Here’s one for the road. It’s packed with sweet potatoes and butternut squash, it’s super easy to make and it’s easy on the cals and the palate! Enjoy! (via Inspiralized)
Come up with some twists of your own? Let us know what works best and how we can make these awesome dishes taste even better!