How to Make Healthy(ish) Strawberry Shortcake Cups
We’re in the full swing of summer, which means we have more sunshine, glistening hot days and parties to look forward to. Whenever we attend a cookout, we love bringing a dessert, but it’s always so hard to choose the perfect recipe (there are so many amazing ones to choose from!). Well, we can confidently say: Look no further. These vegan strawberry peach sugar cookie cups are the perfect little treat. The base is a sugar cookie topped with a dollop of coconut milk whipped cream, garnished with strawberries and peaches. They are like little strawberry shortcakes without all the added artificial ingredients you find in typical packaged desserts. That’s a major win in our book!
Ingredients: (Makes 24 mini cupcakes)
– 1 1/4 cups unbleached flour
– 3 tablespoons vegan butter
– 3/4 cups sugar
– 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds + 3 tablespoons water (you can substitute with one egg for the non-vegan version)
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
For coconut cool whip:
– 1 can full-fat coconut milk, chilled for at least 4-6 hours
– 2 tablespoons vegan butter (you can substitute with coconut oil too!)
– 1 cup (roughly) powdered sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder (optional)
– 1 container strawberries
– 2 small peaches
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix ground flax seeds and water in a small bowl, and set aside for 5-10 minutes. Let it thicken to the consistency of a raw egg.
3. Cream your butter, sugar and flax egg until your mixture is smooth.
4. Add in your dry ingredients, and mix well until you have a doughy consistency.
5. Put the dough in the fridge for approximately 20 minutes to stiffen.
6. Roll the dough into small balls, and place them in mini cupcake tins.
7. Bake for 10-13 minutes.
8. Set aside and let cool. While they are cooling, you can start your cool whip.
9. Top each cookie cup with a dollop of coconut whipped cream, and put strawberries and peaches on top!
Coconut whipped cream:
1. Pour can of coconut milk into a mixing bowl. You can omit some of the liquid if you want more of a frosting-like consistency.
2. Add softened butter, and mix well with a hand mixer.
3. Slowly add powdered sugar one tablespoon at a time until you reach the consistency desired.
4. Add arrowroot powder to stiffen the cream a bit (optional).
5. Mix in vanilla extract.
Mix ground flax seed and water in a small bowl and set aside for 5-10 minutes. It will thicken up and be gooey like a raw egg.
Cream your butter, sugar and flax egg until your mixture is smooth.
Add in your dry ingredients, and mix well until you have a doughy consistency. Then put the dough in the fridge for approximately 20 minutes to stiffen up.
Roll your dough into small balls, and put them in mini cupcake tins. Bake for 10-13 minutes.
Pour a can of coconut milk into a mixing bowl. You can remove some of the liquid if you want a thicker, frosting-like consistency. Next add softened butter, and mix well with a hand mixer. Then slowly add the powdered sugar one tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency. Mix in the vanilla extract.
Top each cookie cup with a dollop of coconut whipped cream, strawberries and peaches!
For another variation, try adding fresh raspberries, blueberries and strawberries. SO GOOD!
What summer fruit combo would you make for these cookie cups? Post in the comments below!