The Edit: Cold Weather Must-Haves Under $50 — Because You’re Cold and Broke
Forget about those brand-spankin’ new fashion trends for 2017 for just a second. Winter is officially in full swing — hello, mounds of snow, slippery sidewalks and cold AF temperatures — and if you haven’t scooped up the right gear yet, best get on it STAT. Because as of right now, spring is just a distant dream. Your first style resolution for the new year should be to scroll through this week’s The Edit and load up on the winter essentials below: ultra-light down layers, winter-ready workout gear and oversized scarves.
1. Zara Raised Collar Sweater With Zip ($40): Thanks to the runway and your fave street-style stars, rocking a chic sweater under everything from flirtatious frocks to button-up blouses feels so RN. Team this sport chic zip-up with a printed slip dress and lace-up ankle boots for an easy-breezy (and incredibly cozy) look that translates to day or night.
2. Urban Outfitters Owl Eyes Plush Glove ($20): Icy digits? No thanks! A good pair of gloves is non-negotiable when the temps dip below 40 degrees — and when there are snowball fights to be had. Plush blue and red knit will keep your fingers frost-free all day long, while the punchy print is prime for adding a little bit of extra oomph to your #OOTD.
3. OSEA Sea Minerals Mist ($38): Introducing the hydrating face mist that’s about to change EVERYTHING. This au naturel elixir is a pro at delivering immediate hydration to dry, depleted skin while combatting impurities, inflammation and redness. Looking for a one-way ticket to a radiant glow? Right this way.
4. C9 Champion Women’s Fashion Run Jacket ($45): Layers are essential for cold weather running, and this reflective number couldn’t be a better fit for your early morning workout. Pop it on top of a base layer, vest and leggings, then get ready to hit the ground running.
5. Zara Snow Knit Snood ($16): And speaking of your winter get-fit routine, you should probably add this neon stunner to the mix. Snoods are a savior as far as lung burn goes, eliminating discomfort from the equation as you move.
6. Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Compact Vest ($40): Consider this no-frills number your new secret weapon when it comes to staying warm and on trend all season long. Cozy down will keep you crazy warm, while the thin, lightweight style makes it easy to layer under statement coats — good news if you’re not down with the puffer trend.
7. H&M Color-Block Poncho ($35): Whether you’re getting your work on or kickin’ it at home, a poncho is an indispensable piece that’ll warm you up in a snap. And it doesn’t hurt that it looks straight-up stunning teamed with a mini skirt, rib knit turtleneck and over-the-knee books. Just add retro-chic hoops for a ’70s-inspired ensemble.
8. Mango Beads Wool Beret ($30): A trip to Paris might not be in the cards this winter, but this burgundy beret is guaranteed to cure a serious case of wanderlust — and keep you toasty in the process. Pop it on with a perfectly applied cat eye and a camel coat to catch up with the girls over croissants and café au laits.
9. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Lip Therapy ($12): Don’t let chapped lips plague you all winter long — fight back with the healing power of First Aid Beauty’s don’t-mess lip balm that’ll help moisturize, nourish and protect your smacker.
10. ASOS Crushed Velvet Midi Robe ($46): After a long day at the office or an epic night out with your crew, treat yo’self to a snuggly velvet robe that was made for lounging in style. Draw up a hot bath, turn on the kettle and chill.
11. Out from Under Flecked Sweater Tight ($14): When it’s too cold outside to function, let alone wear a dress, slip on these sweater tights and watch as the dead-of-winter chill melts away. The thick flecked yarn lends these bad boys a classic vibe that would feel right on cue with a tweed skirt, oversized sweater and knee-high boots.
12. Zara Multicolored Houndstooth Jacquard Scarf ($30): While hibernating under a pile of wool blankets until spring would be ideal, leaving the house is kind of unavoidable (because work, life, etc.). *sigh* An oversized scarf is therefore mandatory — allowing you to channel those snuggled up dreams IRL. We’ll take five.
13. H&M Ankle Boots ($35): Treads, yo. Sky-high stilettos and ballet flats just aren’t going to cut it when things get slick. But these bad boys? They’ll take on ice and snow like a boss. Style ’em alongside a pair of wooly socks for an unstoppable winter combo.
14. Mango Studded Gloves ($30): Fancy occasions call for gloves with a little more oomph than your average pair of woolen mittens. Exhibit A: these studded leather-look stunners that have tough girl appeal built right in. Take ’em for a test drive for an upcoming gala or date night with bae, styling them with a slip dress, faux fur coat and block heels.
15. UGG Sheepskin Insole ($15): Outgrown your UGG obsession but miss that dreamy sheepskin lining? These wooly numbers are the answer. Transform any pair of shoes into a petit paradise for your feet by slipping them inside. The best part? The plush sheepskin is paired with dual-density foam to give your shoes some serious cushiness.
16. Pai Fragonia & Sea Buckthorn Instant Therapy Hand Cream ($30): Hands, meet your new BFF. Dry, chapped skin sucks, which is exactly why you should snag a bottle of this soothing hand cream stat. Vitamin C, Omega 3, 6 and 7, fragonia, sea buckthorn, rosehip and grape seed extracts moisturize and regenerate skin. It absorbs fast and doesn’t leave behind a sticky, greasy residue — just flawless paws.
17. Madewell Llama Trouser Sock ($13): It’s sock season, so you might as well have a few funky options on hand — right? Trimmed in French-girl stripes and lovely llamas, this panache-packed pair will add some serious flava to a set of classic suede ankle boots or velvet platforms.