The Edit: 18 Insta-Worthy Buys to Kick Off 2017 in Style
For many of us, 2016 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2017! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
The expression “new year, new you” kinda sorta makes us cringe. It implies that we fall short of flawless, which — girl — we know just isn’t true. *Casual hair flip.* That said, we’re always looking for new ways to take our style to the next level, a task that requires a considerable amount of energy, to say the least. Beyond keeping up with what’s hot on the runway, we always have our eyes peeled for the next big street-style trend, and keep a close watch over the Insta feeds of our favorite style stars. That’s kind of what we do (all in a day’s work!), but you have other responsibilities — and a jam-packed social calendar — to attend to. Which is why this week’s edition of The Edit is bringing you a list of eye-catching essentials that will help you ring in the New Year in style. From swoon-inducing It bags to saucy swimwear and chic travel gear, below you’ll find 18 pieces you need to add to your lineup STAT.
1. Nasty Gal Ring Leader Vegan Leather Crossbody Bag ($78): Haute handles are one of 2017’s biggest bag trends, which puts this streamlined crossbody at the top of our must-have list. The chic chain link strap and sophisticated croco-look vegan leather balance out the otherwise edgy aesthetic of fashion-forward sac.
2. Zara Frilly Shirt ($50): Make this the year you actually act upon that desire to take your workwear duds to the next level. First things first: investing in this frilltastic top. Blue-and-white stripes and a classic button-down silhouette deliver the sophistication you’d expect from a nine-to-five essential, while ruffle details and sleek brass buttons are all about keepin’ your style on fleek. Team it with black culottes and architectural kicks for a streamlined look that’ll fast become the talk of the water cooler.
3. Nasty Gal Collection Constantine Jacquard Blazer ($148): It was only a matter of time before ’80s fashion became a legit thing (you know, beyond neon and bum bags), what with the ’70s and ’90s dominating the street style scene. Bold shoulders made a serious showing on the Spring/Summer ’17 runways, making this jacquard blazer an essential for your new year lineup. Whether you rock it with tailored black trousers and pumps for the office or sleek ankle boots and skinny jeans for date night, the result will be straight-up flawless.
4. Rachel Comey Camille Solid Earrings ($92): Hoops aren’t going anywhere, anytime soon — that’s for sure — but the classic bauble could benefit from a little extra oomph in the new year. While asymmetric styles are an obvious alternative, we’ll be looking to this mod geometric numbers to usher our #OOTDs into new haute territory.
5. Mango Maxi Belt Coat ($170): If embracing bright color is on your 2017 to-do list, you’ll want to add this lemon yellow number to your lineup stat. Banishing wardrobe blahs like a bona fide HBIC, it’s guaranteed to become your go-to whenever you need a midweek pick-me-up.
6. & Other Stories Velvet Soft Bra ($29): For something we wear every day, our bras don’t really get much thought. Take the opportunity in the coming months to do an overhaul of your underwear drawer, ditching pieces that don’t fit quite right or are looking worse for the wear, replacing them with stunning options you can get excited about putting on. Your first stop? This velvet floral bra that packs just the right amount of ooh-la-la.
7. J.Crew Ruffle-Sleeve Top ($78): Okay — before you say anything, hear us out. Pink might not be your color, but if the runway is any indication, the cheerful hue is slated to take fashion by storm next season. Get ahead of the curve by adding this bell-sleeved beauty to your arsenal now to be paired with wool skirts and classic denim, then worn with leggy shorts and strappy sandals later.
8. Uterqüe Suede Mules ($103): The fastest way to add street-style appeal to any outfit? Throw a pair of mules into the mix. Backless kicks are the silhouette to step out in RN, whether you opt for a ladylike like set of kitten heels or menswear-inspired loafer slides. Rock ’em alongside contemporary suiting separates to nail that Monday morning board meeting or team them with distressed denim and a vintage tee for a perfectly dressed-up-dressed-down look.
9. Out from Under Printed One Shoulder One-Piece Swimsuit ($72): A saucy new swimsuit is just what the doctor ordered to get the new year started off right. With its bold blue print and cutout one-shoulder style, this stunner will inspire you to *finally* book that dreamy island getaway. The only thing missing? A wow-worthy pair of shades and slides.
10. Reformation Joan Leather Skirt ($238): Another ’80s essential that *needs* to make its way into your wardrobe? This bad boy right here. Similar styles have been spotted on the likes of some of our fave street style stars, so there’s no shortage of outfit inspo out there. There is one thing that’s for certain, and it’s that fishnets and red lips are non-negotiable.
11. Free People Illusion Shadows Collar ($48): If you’re like us, you rocked your fair share of choker necklaces this past year. It’s time to hit refresh on your accessorizing routine, and this souped-up collar is a pretty good place to start. Chains, fringe and glistening rhinestones — this stunner has it all. It’s not only perfect for taking a tired LBD to the next level, but it’ll do wonders for an oversized sweater or plain white tee too.
12. Finery Eastbrook Ruched High Neck Clean Knit ($99): You live in turtlenecks all season long, but even your favorite rib knits can start to lose their luster after a while. Keep the passion alive with this bright blue number that’ll bring in the double taps with its split bell sleeves and cinched detailing. Toss it on with stiletto ankle boots and split-hem denim for the win.
13. Mango Cord Contrast Sweatshirt ($60): The athleisure trend is expected to continue straight through until 2018, so don’t part ways with your favorite laid-back duds just yet. In fact, we suggest stepping up your sports chic game by trading out your joggers for an oversized hoodie with major attitude. Dare to rock it at the office, teaming it up with a sleek pencil skirt and pumps, or say sayonara to bodycons come date night by styling one with patent trousers, chandelier earrings and a perspex clutch.
14. Zara Handbag ($60): Ever since Mansur Gavriel debuted their iconic bucket bag, the slouchy style has been a staple of the fashion set. Even for 2017, the style made multiple appearances on the catwalk, though the offerings varied significantly from designer to designer. This two-tone number from Zara in particular caught our eye, with its enticing price tag and two-tone design. New workweek essential? We think yes.
15. H&M Conscious Relaxed High Jeans ($40): Pinterest’s 2017 predictions pointed to classic denim styles (think: high waists, relaxed fits and light washes) to gain even more popularity in the coming months. With plenty of data to back it, we’ll take their word for it. *Adds to cart.*
16. Lost Ink Tortoiseshell Flatform Sneakers ($49): Sneakers became a staple for every fashionable femme out there in 2016, and while the low-key kicks will be sticking around for 2017, things are about to get a whole more interesting. In lieu of fresh white Stan Smiths, expect to see a shift toward more statement-making styles, with bold colors, funky prints and new silhouettes becoming standard fare. This patent tortoiseshell pair serves up just the right balance of sophisticated and scene-stealing, so much so that you just might be able to slip them by HR.
17. Pixie Market Pinstripe Button Wrap Pants ($114): The pinstripe period is far from over, which is good news if you’ve yet to give the polished trend a try. Crossover styling, a bold gold button and cropped silhouette take the linear pattern into street style-approved territory, especially when styled up with pointed-toe mules, a bell-sleeve turtleneck and sculptural earrings.
18. Calpak Astyll Carry-On Luggage ($125): Achieving weekend warrior status is about to become an effortless exercise thanks to this black marble carryon that has you covered no matter where you go. 360-degree spinner wheels make it easy to maneuver whether you’re rushing to catch a connection or navigating the streets of a new city. Our favorite part? The marble print that lends this hard-case carryall a RN feel.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.