When you think of Valentine’s Day, red and pink are probably the first two hues that come to mind. (Blame it on all those darn Hallmark greeting cards.) But rest assured that it doesn’t have to be that way. Avoid twinning hard with every other girl at the bar or at an upcoming Galentine’s Day shindig by embracing unexpected color pairings like violet and black or even (50) shades of gray (oh yeah, we’re going there). Ultimately, you’ll not only feel WAY ahead of the sartorial curve, but you’ll also be able to shake up traditional style conventions by sashaying in something besides a little V-Day red dress. Scroll down for 13 Valentine’s Day-inspired color stories that you can appreciate even if you’re anti-February 14.
Light Pink + Peach
1. Nasty Gal Pastel It to My Heart Coat ($118) + Cooperative High Neck Scallop Frock Dress ($69): This absolutely, positively dreamy combo will bring you up to heartbreaker status just like that. For an entrance-making look, style this diva-esque faux fur topper with a free-wheelin’ shift dress and metallic wedges. The medley of light pink, peach, beige and cream hues will call to mind your favorite summer creamsicle.
White + White
2. Missguided Long Sleeve Blazer Dress ($68) + Clare V Feminin Pouch ($215): Indifferent to Valentine’s Day? Say no more. Rock this streamlined white blazer dress with as much panache as you’ve got for a vino night with your closest gal pals. Pair with some white heels and a game-changing clutch that speaks for itself.
Shades of Gray
3. Tobi Blossomed Love Skater Dress ($44) + Gipsy Young Heart Tights ($13): Oh yeah, it’s time to take it there with this 50 Shades of Grey-esque look. For a steamy date night with bae — that may or may not require a few of these pretty underthings — style this barely-there strapless number with sheer heart-printed tights and some black lace-up ghillies.
Neon Pink + Camel
4. H&M Short Satin Dress ($50) + Clare Vivier Flat Clutch ($215): Okay, so maybe you don’t have to ditch neon pink all together. When downplayed by a nice neutral, this ultra-girly hue takes on a noticeably less prissy tone. Pair this frilly pink peplum dress with a slouchy striped clutch and bow pumps for a Galentine’s Day dinner party.
Metallic + Cherry Red
5. COS Metallic Coated Dress ($135) + Kate Spade Secret Admirer Heart Crossbody ($298): Embrace your single lady status with this high-shine metallic dress that doesn’t mess around. The slinky and seemingly non-fussy silhouette is perfect for a round of speed dating and busting a move. Throw in a hands-free heart crossbody bag for a cheeky touch.
Lilac + Gold
6. FRS Lilac Wool Rich Overcoat With Drop Shoulder ($152) + Modcloth Push the Env-Elope Earrings ($13): The great thing about lilac — Barbie pink’s noticeably softer and less girly counterpart — is that it’s not overpowering in the least. Reminiscent of your favorite grape-flavored conversation hearts, this wool coat is guaranteed to add a dash of femininity to any look, especially when styled alongside these precious gold envelope earrings.
Cobalt + Red
7. Partyskirts Cobalt Lady Length Skirt ($245) + Unique Vintage Cherry Red Lolita Love Retro Heart Sunglasses ($18): Solidify your hostess-with-the-mostess status with this fête-worthy cobalt skirt that’s worth a twirl (or two). For a sassy look, wear it alongside a scalloped blouse, red heart-shaped sunnies and sparkly steppers.
Ivory + Blush Pink
8. Keepsake Restless Heart Maxi Dress in Floral Print ($269) + Billy Ella Lace-Up Flats ($178): Resist the urge to don a pretty pink tulle gown or a red neck-plunging dress for an upcoming V-Day themed dance. Not only is this ivory floral maxi totally DDG, but it just so happens to look ah-mazing with these sophisticated blush pink lace-up flats.
White, Black + a Pop of Red
9. H&M Jersey Dress ($30) + Nila Anthony Heart Core Box Clutch ($40): A low-key date night (think: mini golf and dinner plans) calls for nothing more than a trusty striped dress, white sneaks and a hint of red. This hard shell, heart-printed clutch is a subtle way to acknowledge V-Day without entering X’s and O’s territory.
Violet + Black
10. American Apparel Lame Venus Bodysuit ($48) + Talula Sullivan Pant ($60): Dare to be different with this more-than-just-a-little-promiscuous purple bodysuit and some free-wheelin’ black culottes. For a look that will straight-up slay, just toss on a body chain and try out a vampy red lip.
Rose Quartz + Tranquil Blue
11. Keepsake Restless Heart Fit & Flare Dress ($168) + ASOS Prosper Platform Heels ($77): There’s no pairing more harmonious and swoon-inducing than Rose Quartz and Serenity, aka Pantone’s 2016 colors of the year. Channel absolute elegance in a flirty pink frock and some blue platform heels that could totally double for a spring wedding or bridal shower.
Navy + Pink
12. Keepsake Heart Strong Midi Dress in Navy ($266) + New Balance 515 Pique Polo Running Sneaker ($70): This just in: Navy is the new power color that you’ll be gravitating toward once hot pink and cherry red grow stale. Test-drive an athlesiure look on Valentine’s Day by sporting this gorgeous V-neck dress with pearl studs and — wait for it — sneakers. Not just restricted to the tennis courts, these stylish navy-and-pink tennies will allow you to hit the dance floor in style.
13. Adolescent Clothing Boyfriend T-Shirt With Valentine’s Stupid Cupid Print ($31) + ASOS Pleated Leather Look Skirt ($66): Valentine’s Day haters everywhere, rejoice: This t-shirt knows what’s up. Avoid drowning in a sea of red and pink by embracing a noticeably darker palette (and an edgier vibe) this February 14. While the black statement tee reads casual, the pleated leather skirt is ready to hit the town — just slip on some ankle booties to up the cool factor.
Which of these Valentine’s Day color combos will you be sporting this February? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo.