It’s no secret we’re obsessed with the holidays at B+C headquarters, and when it comes to Christmas decor, no piece is more important than the almighty centerpiece: the tree! While there’s all sorts of ways to make one your own, from space-savers to DIY alternatives, the latest millennial-favored craze in tree decorating has us seriously scratching our heads: Meet the upside-down Christmas tree! The trend began gaining some serious Insta traction when London’s upscale Claridge’s Hotel unveiled its annual holiday tree, decorated by none other than legendary fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld. Featuring a lavish design ornamented with candles, silver lametta decorations, silver butter leather feathers, and handmade snowflake ornaments from the couturier’s native Germany, the piece was an attention-grabber, to be sure, but it was the tree’s reverse vertical positioning which had jaws really agape.
As the hotel’s general manager, Paul Jackson, explained, “We believe this magical take on his childhood memories captures the spirit of the season perfectly and adds a sense of fun and glamour to our lobby.”
Since then, the mind-boggling trend has taken off, both in homes and in public spaces. Check out a few of our faves below!
1. Silver galore: San Francisco’s Westfield Centre took the trend next level when decorating its very own upside-down tree, opting for thousands of silver lights and entire tiers of silver tassels. Stunning!
2. Kid-Approved: The Smith family from Ohio also got in on the trend, and their three little ones definitely seem to approve, posing in front of their unconventional tree decked out with LOTS of lights and ornaments.
3. Reinvented Classic: San Diego’s legendary Hotel del Coronado kept its lobby tree plenty traditional (sans for the inverted factor, of course!) with classic hues of red and green and plenty of gifts underneath (Err, at the top?)
4. Blue Twinkles: The NOPD Seventh District decorated its upside-down tree with so many ornaments, you could barely see the branches underneath.
5. Fit for a Fairy Tale: Talk about a statement-maker! The Anthony B Salon in Manchester, England covered its tree with hanging crystal garlands, making its fairy-tale pine look positively enchanting with regal raindrops.
What do you think of the upside-down tree craze? Tweet us @BritandCo.
(Photo via Getty)