14 Modern DIYs to Decorate Your Space for Valentine’s Day
Traditionally, February 14 isn’t one of those holidays you’d think to decorate with Valentine’s Day art prints or all things festive (looking at you, Christmas). But if you’re anything like us, when there’s an opportunity to get your DIY on and whip up Valentine’s Day decor, you do just that. This year, be sure to sprinkle some Xs and Os and stylish decorations to give your space a little bit of oomph for Cupid’s arrival. Your cutie will know you mean business with the romantic mood and that at-home Valentine’s Day dinner date, or at least you’ll pump up your roomies for that Galentine’s Day party you’re throwing. Get ready to swoon at the 14 festive DIYs below.
1. DIY XOXO Tablecloth: Start off by kicking your plain white tablecloth up a serious notch. Simply paint Xs and Os with black paint for a super chic look. Pair with some pretty blooms and metallic accents to complete the on-trend, romantic look. (via PopSugar)
2. DIY Quote Garland: Add a few garlands around the house that have fun (and suggestive) sayings. Remember all that baker’s twine your bought to tie off your gifts over the holidays? Upcycle it to hang these garlands. (via Brit + Co)
3. DIY Conversation Heart Piñata: If you’re having a little V-Day party with other couples, hang these conversation heart piñatas filled with candy. Not only do they make for amazing decorations, but they’ll also be a fun activity for a group get-together. (via StudioDIY)
4. DIY Countdown Calendar: If you just *cannot* wait for Valentine’s Day, add this countdown to a blank wall in your home. It makes for adorable wall art, and your beau will love opening a card every morning. (via Brit + Co)
5. Funny Conversation Heart Pillows: Take those conversation heart decorations to the next level with these easy DIY pillows. Whatever phrase you choose is up to you, but there’s nothing wrong with expressing your love for pizza and Netflix on the place you enjoy them most. (via Brit + Co)
6. DIY Fabric Valentine Banner: TBH, you can totally hang this banner year-round, but it’s especially perfect for February. Bonus: It only takes a few minutes to make, but will totally look professional because your skills are *that* good. (via Say Yes)
7. DIY Valentine’s Vases: Valentine’s Day is the holiday for flowers, but somehow every year you totally forget and end up having to improvise. Make sure you have somewhere to put your pretty petals with this set of red, pink and gold vases. They also make for adorable Galentine’s Day gifts. (via Brit + Co)
8. DIY Watercolor Canvas: This DIY does double-duty as a V-day gift — whether you go super romantic with a declaration of love or just want to document your cute pet names for each other. Write out the word on a blank canvas and propose (or just suggest) that your sweetie pie help you with your DIY during your date-day-in together. Surprise! Your magical message will be revealed when they start painting. Awww! (via Minted)
10. DIY Painted Terra Cotta Pots: There are no rules when it comes to decorating for a holiday — or any day, for that matter. Make something you can use even after the holiday, like these terra cotta pots. All you need is some painter’s tape and your favorite color(s) of paint to add a little life to your existing color scheme. (via The Elephant of Surprises)
11. DIY Geometric Heart: This geometric heart is beautiful and so easy to make. Find various patterned paper that has dimension (think: reflective surfaces, bold patterns and a few solids) in complementary colors at your local craft store. Cut the paper into right-angled triangles of all one size, and then follow the template to create a heart. V simple. (via Nalle’s House)
12. DIY Geometric Heart Garland: Grab a few sheets of felt from the craft store to make these geometric hearts. Not only is it fun to whip up, but it’s also *way* budget-friendly. (via How About Orange)
13. DIY Air Plant Wall Art: Add a little texture to your walls with air plant wall art. Opt for a traditional February 14 color scheme with pink and red, or keep it subtle with smaller pops of red or pink with colors that complement your existing decor. (via Brit + Co)
14. DIY Heart Branch Tree: If you have any plants laying around the house, spice them up with a few paper heart ornaments. It’ll be like your Christmas tree’s younger sister. (via The House That Lars Built)
Looking for more Valentine’s Day DIYs? Head over to our Pinterest page for more inspiration.