Pick up a baker’s dozen at your local bagel shop — or bake up a homemade batch yourself — then get ready to get spreading with these 13 sublime schmear recipes. No matter if you like to keep things sweet, savory or spicy in the morning, we’ve got you covered with every sort of slathering. Want to make a brunch of it? Set out a selection of breads plus a few of these creations along with flavored butter and boozy preserves to design a do-ahead weekend spread that’s perfect for hassle-free entertaining.
1. Valentine’s Bagels and Two Homemade Spread Recipes: It’s tough to choose between raspberry Cinnabon and peanut butter chocolate caramel spread. Good thing bagels have two halves, so you don’t have to pick just one. (via Hello Natural)
3. Tarragon Schmear: This herbal schmear combines both sweet cream cheese and tangy sour cream to create one delicious spread for a BLT — aka butter lettuce, lox and tarragon schmear. (via An Edible Mosaic)
8. Very Berry Cream Cheese: A slick of this pretty plum-hued cream cheese made with a mix of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries is sure to brighten up any bagel. (via What Jew Wanna Eat)
10. Garlic and Herb “Cream Cheese” (Vegan, Gluten-free): Stir in garlic, herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice to transform plain old vegan “cream cheese” in practically no time at all. (via A Sage Amalgam)
12. New York City Lox and Schmear Bagel in a Bite: We’re loving this “everything” cream cheese that simply bursts with the flavor of briny capers and sweet sun-dried tomatoes plus onion and garlic. (via Country Girl Gourmet)
13. Kimchi Cream Cheese: Know anyone who’s hesitant to try kimchi? Introduce them to a Korean staple with this spread. Cream cheese helps to temper the spice level, making it subtle enough for all to enjoy. (via E.A.T.)
What do you like to spread your morning bagel with — something savory, sweet or simply unadorned? Let us know below!