File this under “something only a Fashion Editor would say:” Ugly is so hot right now. From awesomely ugly shoes to the bonkers KENZO x H&M collab that’s taking power clashing to a new level, fashion girls are going gaga for head-turning styles that have left the mainstream scratching their heads. We say let ’em talk (or stare!) — we’re loving everything about the look, including its DGAF attitude. The newest iteration of this trend is here, and good news — it’s *perfect* for any girl who wants to just test the waters of “ugly fashion” without going overboard. Mustard yellow has been popping up on the racks of all our favorite retailers, and spotting this not-quite-yellow-not-quite-brown hue splashed on cozy sweaters and shift dresses is giving us major fall vibes. Skeptical? Here are 13 ways to slay in mustard yellow this fall.
1. MANGO Textured Cotton-Blend Sweater ($70): When it comes to incorporating mustard into our fall and winter wardrobes, a sweater was the first on our list. The minute we spotted this oversized knit, we had instant visions of it paired with skinny jeans and mules.
2. Calvin Klein Haile Suede Saddle Crossbody Bag ($70): If you’re an all-black-everything kind of gal who’s never committed to color in her life, it’s all about baby steps. This little saddle bag adds the perfect dash of mustard color to even your most monochrome outfits.
3. ENGLISH FACTORY Swiss Dot Blouse ($71): A typically demure silhouette gets a serious shake-up with this darker shade of canary yellow. Go casual and tuck it into high-waisted denim, or dress it up with a pair of jacquard trousers.
4. Old Navy Pintuck Swing Dress ($37): Florals and a bright shade of sunflower yellow might give you summer vibes, but we’ll teach you exactly how to fall-ify this dress. You just need a few key pieces — an army green utility jacket, tall leather boots and a seriously cozy scarf.
5. H&M Ribbed Sweater ($13): This neckline is one of our current favorites — a plunging v-neck with a choker-style collar is *EVERYTHING* this season. Tuck this body-skimming sweater into your favorite pair of jeans or a suede mini skirt.
6. Superga 2750 COTU CLASSIC ($65): In white, this classic sneaker seamlessly blends in with every outfit, but in mustard yellow, the shoe becomes the outfit. Wear it with leather-look skinnies and a chunky sweater now and with cut-offs and a tee when summer rolls back around.
7. Forever 21 Corduroy Mini Skirt ($20): Grab a baguette (and this adorable corduroy mini, of course) to channel a French girl-inspired look. This hue will pop against white and cream, so try it with a white bodysuit or sweater and taupe ankle booties.
8. Zara Basic Scarf ($23): We’ll admit that we have a slight scarf obsession, so we’re a bit biased, but we’re *LOVING* this option. Its rich shade of goldish mustard will brighten even the dullest of days — it’s basically the wardrobe equivalent of a PSL.
9. Abercrombie & Fitch Women’s Short Sleeve Cold Shoulder Top ($48): The going-out top is experiencing a truly great comeback right now, and this version should be the go-to for your next night out. The splash of color makes a confidently bold statement.
10. Missguided Long Sleeve Pleated Swing Dress ($43): We can’t help but get Lemonade vibes from this boho mini dress. The accordion pleats and shift silhouette add a hint of swing to every step, and this color is a total show-stopper. Yep — it has all the makings of a Beyoncé-approved look.
11. Jeffrey Campbell Bitsie Round Toe Pump ($120): There’s just something about these bright yellow shoes that we can’t get enough of. Try them with boyfriend jeans and a black and white striped top for a weekend-ready look, or with all black for an office-approved getup with a li’l lemon twist.
12. Topshop Satin Puffer Jacket ($150): This not-quite-gold-not-quite-yellow shade is just what the outerwear section of your closet needs. It’ll give you a nice break from all the blacks and grays, but the color is still muted enough to play well with other shades. On colder days, layer it over a denim jacket for added cool factor.
13. Forever 21 Slouchy Beanie ($15): Part beret, part beanie, this little topper is unexpectedly chic. It’s a perfectly colorful cherry on top for any neutral-toned outfit. Just don’t be surprised if you start craving a croissant the minute you put it on.
Looking for more fashion trends? Visit us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.