11 House Plants So Good for You They’re Approved by NASA
Adding some green to a space can do a lot of good — both for your health and your style. Although we’ve been loving 2016’s trending house plants (we’ve even DIYed a Sharpie watercolor planter to keep them looking fresh in our office), we almost lost it when we heard that space plants (yes, space plants!) are actually a thing. And a very good thing for healthy living, at that.
During the ’80s, NASA began studying house plants as a means of providing purer and cleaner air. Thanks to their now published findings, we know some of the best house plants for clean, pure air (Love the Garden even created an awesome infographic detailing why each house plant on the list is amazing). Here are 11 plants you should definitely consider sharing your home with.
1. Peace Lilies: A beautiful house plant that actually blooms all summer, peace lilies ranked the highest at cleaning almost all chemicals in the air, including ammonia, formaldehyde, benzene and trichloroethylene. Wow. Something so powerful in such a pretty package.
2. Sanseveria: Native to Africa and southern Asia, Sanseveria (AKA the snake plant or, for you married peeps, the mother-in-law’s tongue) is almost impossible to kill — meaning they’re perfect for the gal who’s always on vacation.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Neisie Murrell (@plantb.thornbury) on
3. Palms: Great at purifying formaldehyde, xylene and toluene, there are many types of palms that’ll brighten up your space and keep you healthy, including areca, lady and bamboo palms.
4. Golden Pothos: A fast growing vine that looks incredible dangling from a window, this awesome plant is an air purifying ninja. Don’t have a green thumb? No problem. It’s so easy to grow that you’d almost have to try to kill a golden pothos for it to die.
5. Dracaenas: With three types of dracaenas making the list (marginata, warnecki and janet craig), it’s clear that this fun house plant is so darn popular with homeowners worldwide for clearing the air of several different pollutants. However, all dracaenas are toxic to cats and dogs, so pet owners should steer clear.
6. English Ivy: Although pet owners may want avoid this traditional plant too (the leaves are toxic for cats and dogs), there’s no denying that they clean the air beautifully.
7. Chrysanthemums: Another plant with a perfect five out of five score on air filtration, chrysanthemums are a beautiful addition to any home or office during early summer.
View this post on Instagram
Thank you to the lovely @_lisa_dawson_ for my #widn well I'm having a little faff with my rose gold skull I bought on holiday & if you miss it the arrows pointing to it, 😝 it doesn't photograph very well as its so blimmin shinny. Oh and he's also pinched the crown from Bird, you probably can't see that either 😆 bloody metallics and dark walls! Wanna play my new American dark interiors loving insta mate @vathadosado_ I included the butterflies especially for you. #darkwalls #darkinteriors #skull #spiderplant #arrow @aldiuk #books #display #vignette #fireplace #farrowandball #indoorplants #butterflies #crown #lights #chimneybreast #gold #myeclecticmix #eclecticdecor #lovemyhome #realhomes #currentdesignsituation #cornerofmyhome #pocketofmyhome #interior123 #interiorlovers
A post shared by Nadia (@artynads) on
8. Spider Plants: Non-toxic and easy to care for, this personality-packed plant is NASA approved for sucking formaldehyde out of the air. And aren’t they just made for mantles and hanging baskets?
View this post on Instagram
Marriage made in succulent heaven! Kalanchoe Luciae, aloe Vera and aloe Blue Elf. Chillin in the full sun in Bonita, Ca. Photo/Hannah Eubanks Designer/Laura Eubanks at Design for Serenity. #crassula #succulent #designforserenity #lauraeubanks #aloevera #kalenchoe
A post shared by Laura Eubanks (@lauralovessucculents) on
9. Aloe Vera: Well known for its awesome burn and bite remedies, this low-maintenance succulent is great for keeping your air clean too. And for making cucumber-aloe cocktails.
10. Ficus: A popular tree known for needing a lot of good light, add a ficus or two to your living room for a stylish and healthy statement piece. This mini desk-sized one is cute, but be aware that they can outgrow your space super quickly if you let them. The trick is in not repotting.
11. Chinese Evergreen: Benzene and formaldehyde are no match for this easy to maintain house plant. Plus, they look great almost everywhere in your home!
Do you have any house plants at home? Tweet us your comments by mentioning @BritandCo.
(Featured photo via Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.