2012 Faves: 25 Ways to Spike Your Sweets
In this first year of baking, freezing, cooking, and hacking at Brit HQ, we heard one message loud and clear. Spike it! From jello shots to pudding pops, this year was definitely all about spiking our sweets. Here’s a complete list of 25 of our favorite recipes that’ll hit your sweet tooth, get you tipsy, and happen to look pretty darn cute too.
Jello Shots: First, the art of the jello shot. We took this bachelorette party staple to all new levels of culinary artistry.
1. Cinco de Mayo Jello Shots: Take the jello-shot-in-a-rind thing one step further by turning it into a classic shot of tequila, lime, salt and all.
2. Baseball Jello Shots: For baseball season, bust out the Twizzlers pull’n’peel to create laces on your jello shots.
3. Watermelon Mint Jello Shots: That’s right. Those are shots that look exactly like watermelon.
4. Star-Studded Jello Shots: Star shaped vodka-soaked gummies inside of jello shots? Naturally.
5. Strawberry Cheesecake Jello Shots: Strawberries, cream cheese, jello, and graham cracker crumbs. Epic.
6. Blood + Bones Jello Shot Cocktail: These definitely win for the creepiest-treat-of-the-year award. (See also: And the Award for Creepiest iPhone Case Goes to…)
Frozen Treats: Boozy bites that involve being frozen are always a tricky business, since alcohol doesn’t really want to freeze. These 7 recipes make it happen… deliciously!
7. Blue Moon Ice Cream Push Pops: For a refreshing bit of white ale, make it a push pop! Yum.
8. Kahlua Pudding Pops: These may have been the most devilish thing we made all year- a whole shot in each pop.
9. Wine Slushies: What’s better than a cool glass of wine in the summertime? Wine slushies, of course.
10. Beer Ice Cream Floats: With so many yummy varieties of beer out there, it’s easy to get your float on outside of the root variety.
11. Classic Cocktail Ice Cream Floats: Speaking of floats, what about a Pimm’s Cup, White Russian, Dark + Stormy, or French 75 in float form?
12. Watermelon Margarita Poptails: Could these be cuter? The salted lime on the bottom is sheer brilliance.
13. Bourbon Fruitcake Ice Cream Pops: Fruitcake never sounded so good.
Creamy Sweets: Love the richness of pudding, chocolate ganache, and panna cotta? This collection’s for you.
14. No-Bake Baileys Bonbons: Our most recent spiked sweet is easy, chocolatey, and delicious.
15. Spiked Oreo Panna Cotta: You read that right. Spiked. Oreo. Panna. Cotta.
16. Eggnog Pudding Shots: Can’t handle a whole mug of nog? Go for a shooter.
17. Reese’s Peanut Butter Shooters: Speaking of shooters, we used a shot glass ice cube tray to create these peanut buttery shot glasses.
18. Spiked Donut Pops: A (donut) hole in one! Kahlua is the star of these pops, made for your pops.
19. Boozy Irish Cupcakes: How does one make buttercream frosting better? By spiking it!
20. Jameson Pudding Shots: Who knew Jameson could be so sweet?
Fruity Fix: Want to feel like you’re being healthy too? Get fruit involved in the mix and your bases are covered.
21. Spiked Strawberry Santas: At this point, you’ve probably heard everything you need to know about these santas. In case you haven’t, here’s what you need to know: Spiked frosting is involved.
22. Boozy Cointreau Cupcakes: Remember those chocolate oranges you used to get for Christmas? This is basically that in cupcake form. Oh, and it’ll get you tipsy.
23. Caramel Apple Pie Pudding Shots: A perfect dessert for a cozy winter dinner party.
24. Raspberry Kahlua Pudding Bites: What to do with a little leftover Kahlua pudding? Turn it into something that looks like breakfast. Win.
25. Cucumber Watermelon Shooters: And finally, something sweet and something savory. We took a vodka soaked watermelon, mixed in a little cucumber, mint, and jalapeño, and earned all sorts of street cred at our summertime BBQs.
What spiked sweets are on your list of faves? Let us know in the comments below. And if you have any suggestions for new recipes in 2013, shoot a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.