5 Cute Ways to Make the First Move On Dating Apps
The advent of dating apps such as Bumble (where women are the ones to make the first move) is just one more step in a cultural shift away from traditional dating norms. Now that women have the power to make moves, it’s time to take full advantage of our favorite dating apps. Armed with tried and true (and mom-approved!) profile tricks and Tinder’s new algorithm, add these five tips to your arsenal of first-move, well, moves.
1. Be complimentary. Whether you like the shirt they’re wearing in their profile picture or a funny joke in their bio, starting off the conversation with a genuine compliment is a sure-fire way to be memorable and make a great first impression all at the same time.
2. Find common ground. If their bio talks about one of your favorite sports teams or movies, dive right into the conversation with a comment about what you have in common. Not only will you get noticed, but you’ll have an easy start to the conversation.
3. Bring on the LOLs. Whether you like corny or sarcastic jokes, a great thing to have in common with someone is a sense of humor. Put your potential partner’s humor to the test by putting your own on display in their DMs.
4. Make a bet. Appeal to their competitive side by starting off your conversation by making a bet — say, if they’re from a city with a rival sports team, that you’ll buy them drinks if their team beats yours, or vice versa. As a bonus, you might even set yourself up for a date without even trying!
5. Play 20 questions. The best part about asking a question is it renders necessary a response. Ask about their profile, where they’re from or even their job. If they’re from Chicago, for example, you might ask if they’ve ever been to Lollapalooza.
Have any more tips for making moves on dating apps? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)