12 ’80s Hairstyles That Are, Like, Totally Popular Again
Let’s be real: Modern style recycles a lotof iconic looks from past decades. And while the grungy lobs of the ‘90s and Farrah Fawcett curls of the ‘70s had their comeback moments, it seems like we’re all copping our latest looks from a livelier era: the ’80s.
The 1980s might get a bad rap when it comes to hair, but there are plenty of ways to channel the decade of neon eyeshadow, original Nintendo, and acid wash without looking like something out of The Wedding Singer. Here are 12 of our favorite modern takes on ’80s hairstyles — no Aqua Net required.
1. High Ponytail: As seen on Karlie Kloss, Beyoncé, and more, the high ponytail has come back with a vengeance. (Photo via Gregg DeGuire/ Getty)
<b>Snap Clips:</b>Scunci Chunky Glitter & Solid Snap Clips ($5). (Photo via Jamie McCarthy/ Getty)
<b>Scrunchies</b>being worn by all the hottest celebs. Wear a solid color or fun print (like the InvisBobble Purrfection Sprunchie ($8)) to instantly elevate any ponytail or bun hairstyle. (Photo via Tibrina Hobson/ Getty)
<b>Neon</b>pastel hair. However, hot pink is a great ’80s-inspired choice for those who miss the days of neon everything. (Photo via Emma McIntyre/ Getty)
<b>Crimping</b>use a flat iron to crimp your locks. (Photo via Rich Polk/ Getty)
6. Headbands: Whether bedazzled, confetti-clad, or colorful like Chrissy Teigen’s, headbands are a godsend on lazy hair days. (Photo via Emma McIntyre/ Getty)
7. Side Fade: Guys owned this trend in the ’80s, but now ladies are rocking the partially shaved look. Have your stylist get creative with the razor on the side of your head, or go for a clean-cut like Halsey. (Photo via Sam Wasson/ Getty)
8. Braided Sides: Want an avant-garde asymmetrical look without going the Skrillex route? Here ya go. (Photo via Jon Kopaloff/ Getty)
<b>Ponytail Braid</b>DIY this pretty, humidity-resistant look by adding it to a high pony. (Photo via Roy Rochlin/ Getty)
10. Side Ponytail: The ultimate versatile style! You can quickly pull it high for a lazy girl approach or glam it up like Bey for a big night out. (Photo via Monica Schipper/ Getty)
11. Sleek Scrunched Waves: Put away the blow dryer, because air-drying is where it’s at. Even straight-haired gals can get some serious festival-ready bends with a spritz of texturizing spray and a light glob of hair gel worked from roots to ends. (Photo via Anthony Harvey/ Getty)
<b> Pony</b>easy ways to funk-ify a high or side ponytail. (Photo via Dimitrios Kambouris/ Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)