12 ’80s Hairstyles That Are, Like, Totally Popular Again
Let’s be real: Modern style recycles a lotof iconic looks from past decades. And while the grungy lobs of the ‘90s and Farrah Fawcett curls of the ‘70s had their comeback moments, it seems like we’re all copping our latest looks from a livelier era: the ’80s.
The 1980s might get a bad rap when it comes to hair, but there are plenty of ways to channel the decade of neon eyeshadow, original Nintendo, and acid wash without looking like something out of The Wedding Singer. Here are 12 of our favorite modern takes on ’80s hairstyles — no Aqua Net required.
1. High Ponytail: As seen on Karlie Kloss, Beyoncé, and more, the high ponytail has come back with a vengeance. (Photo via Gregg DeGuire/ Getty)
2. Snap Clips: These funky clips come in quirky colors to accessorize your ‘do. Stay subtle with monotoned hair clips, or go full-on ’80s glam with Scunci Chunky Glitter & Solid Snap Clips ($5). (Photo via Jamie McCarthy/ Getty)
3. Scrunchies: These late-’80s and early-’90s wardrobe staples are being worn by all the hottest celebs. Wear a solid color or fun print (like the InvisBobble Purrfection Sprunchie ($8)) to instantly elevate any ponytail or bun hairstyle. (Photo via Tibrina Hobson/ Getty)
4. Neon: Don’t get us wrong; we’re still in love with pastel hair. However, hot pink is a great ’80s-inspired choice for those who miss the days of neon everything. (Photo via Emma McIntyre/ Getty)
5. Crimping: Crimping irons flew off shelves in the ’80s and had a resurgence in the late ’90s (thanks, Britney). If you want to go a subtler route, use a flat iron to crimp your locks. (Photo via Rich Polk/ Getty)
6. Headbands: Whether bedazzled, confetti-clad, or colorful like Chrissy Teigen’s, headbands are a godsend on lazy hair days. (Photo via Emma McIntyre/ Getty)
7. Side Fade: Guys owned this trend in the ’80s, but now ladies are rocking the partially shaved look. Have your stylist get creative with the razor on the side of your head, or go for a clean-cut like Halsey. (Photo via Sam Wasson/ Getty)
8. Braided Sides: Want an avant-garde asymmetrical look without going the Skrillex route? Here ya go. (Photo via Jon Kopaloff/ Getty)
9. Ponytail Braid: Having a friend who could braid your hair was a valuable asset in the ’80s. Now you can DIY this pretty, humidity-resistant look by adding it to a high pony. (Photo via Roy Rochlin/ Getty)
10. Side Ponytail: The ultimate versatile style! You can quickly pull it high for a lazy girl approach or glam it up like Bey for a big night out. (Photo via Monica Schipper/ Getty)
11. Sleek Scrunched Waves: Put away the blow dryer, because air-drying is where it’s at. Even straight-haired gals can get some serious festival-ready bends with a spritz of texturizing spray and a light glob of hair gel worked from roots to ends. (Photo via Anthony Harvey/ Getty)
12. Bubble Pony: Extra elastics are just one of the easy ways to funk-ify a high or side ponytail. (Photo via Dimitrios Kambouris/ Getty)
Follow us on Pinterestfor more beauty inspo and info.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Additional reporting by Jen Hussein