’90s Foods We Were All Completely Obsessed With As Kids
The ’90s were a truly wonderful decade, so it’s no surprise that millennial nostalgia keeps turning back the clock. We’re total suckers for ’90s music. And, of course, we continually bring our favorite childhood fashions back to life through ’90s Halloween costumes and DIY projects. But no aspect of the ’90s *really* brings us back to our childhoods quite like our favorite snack foods. Grab your lunch boxes, because we’re taking a journey back to 1995 though these 13 iconic ’90s foods.
1. Push Pops: Remember these sweet, fruity, sugary hard candies that never seemed to end? They were perfect for sucking on during class and/or summer camp. What was your favorite flavor?
2. Ring Pops: Speaking of amazing hard candies, ring pops were the favorites of little girls everywhere. They made you feel kind of like a grown-up but they were completely childlike at the same time.
3. Fruitopia: Who DIDN’T have a Fruitopia machine in their school cafeteria? This sugary fruit juice was AMAZING for sipping on right after recess. We can still taste the flavors of Strawberry Passion Awareness, Fruit Integration, Citrus Consciousness, The Grape Beyond and Tangerine Wavelength.
View this post on Instagram
TBT: Fruit String Thing fruit snacks! Pro tip: Google image searching 'string thing' is quite NSFW. #TBT #throwback #throwbackthursday #bettycrocker #generalmills #stringthing #fruitstringthing #throwbackfood #90s #90skid #fruitsnacks #junkfood #iifym #macros #cheatmeal #snack #snacks #snackfood
A post shared by @ candyhunting on
4. String Thing: Remember string things? We sure do! Looking back on these fruity strings of flavor, they admittedly seem kinda questionable — but we devoured them en masse during the ’90s.
5. Trix: “Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids!” And for adults who grew up in the ’90s and are still obsessed with fruity cereals, of course! As if Trix cereal wasn’t amazing enough, it also came in yogurt form, among other things.
6. Lunchables: Whether you splurged on the pizza pack or stuck with the basic cracker sandwiches, Lunchables were likely one of your favorite packed lunches. When you think about it, these were totally genius: Add crackers and tiny lunch meats to a box, throw in some sauce to make it taste pizza-like, and have kids take it to school for lunch. Win-win!
7. Fruit by the Foot: In case you don’t remember, Fruit Roll Ups and Fruit by the Foot were VERY, VERY different things. And don’t try to tell any ’90s kid otherwise!
8. Doritos 3D: As if Doritos weren’t perfect enough all on their own, in the ’90s, we were introduced to 3D Doritos… That is, triangle-shaped Doritos with TWO sides. These gave you even more flavor and crunch than regular Doritos, which at the time was simply ah-maze.
9. Bubble Jug: Looking back on it, what the heck WAS this stuff? Bubble Jugs came packed with a weird, powdery substance that somehow miraculously formed into bubble gum upon entering your mouth. This seems sketch now that we’re adults, but let’s be real: The makers of Bubble Jug get points for convenience, adorable packaging and ingenuity.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Robert Newton (@nintendowiiboy) on
10. French Toast Crunch: Do you remember this stuff?! This was probably THE BEST cereal to come out of the ’90s. Every Millennial remembers munching on a bowl of this before going to school in the mornings. It had the sweet, syrupy taste of French Toast with all the crunch of cold cereal.
11. Squeezits: Why don’t we see these around anymore? Actually, that may be a good thing… Squeezits were completely addicting back in the day, and also super fun to drink out of.
12. OUCH! Bubblegum: In another installment of adorable gum ideas to come out of the ’90s, these Band-Aid strips were genius. They were portable, cute and sweet — like so many iconic ’90s snacks.
View this post on Instagram
My girls have been wanting Cosmic Brownies for their school lunches, so I whipped these up yesterday. I don't know who was more excited- my daughters or my husband 🍫 #cosmicbrownies #brownies #wilton @wiltoncakes #chocolate #ganache #honemade #baking #baketheworldabetterplace #dessert #kids #childhood
A post shared by Michele Langseth (@vanilla_beans_and_daydreams) on
13. Cosmic Brownies: Yep, we’ve saved the best for last. Cosmic Brownies were THE BEST dessert ever. Made with chocolate and rainbow sprinkles, they really were a lot like homemade brownies, but with a pre-packaged twist that only the ’90s could inspire.
Take a journey back to the ’90s with us by following us on Pinterest!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)