5 Reasons Amal Clooney Is the Ultimate #Girlboss
Like the rest of the world, we too are completely fascinated by Amal Clooney. The always-poised London-based barrister is a superhero of a woman with an elite career as a human rights lawyer, a passion for activism and an always on-point sense of style. Oh, and a trophy husband at home at the end of the day (we’re just playing, George). In other words, she’s the ultimate #Girlboss. So, in honor of her 37th birthday, we’re celebrating Amal by gushing over some of her major accomplishments. Scroll through to learn all about your new famous role model.
1. She’s Got an Insanely Impressive Resume: Just incase you missed Tina Fey and Amy Poehler ripping on George Clooney by listing Amal’s accolades during the Golden Globes, here’s a very brief summary of her jaw-dropping career: Since receiving her Masters of Law degree from NYU, where she worked as a student law clerk under now-Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, Amal has played a role in some of the biggest legal cases of our time. Her client list includes Enron and WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, and she has been a part of several expert commissions tasked with looking into major international human rights issues, including possible violations of the rules of war — and all before she’s turned 40. Oh, she’s fluent in Arabic, English and French too. (via The Daily Beast; Photo via Pool/Getty Images)
2. She’s Got an Even More Impressive Work Ethic: Amal had no problem trading in her couture wedding gown for her barrister robes shortly after she officially became Mrs. George Clooney last September. Fresh off her Venetian nuptials, Amal flew to Greece to meet with political officials and discuss the country’s effort to reclaim a collection of ancient Greek sculptures that have long been displayed at the British Museum in London. (via People; Photo via Pool/Getty Images)
3. She’s Also a Maker: Apparently Amal *has* had time in between her jam-packed schedule to master Sewing 101. George revealed that she DIYed her now-famous opera gloves that she wore to the 2015 Golden Globes along with her caped Dior Haute Couture gown. We assume it’s just one of many style hacks she has up her sleeves (and we’re keeping our eyes open for them all). (via Brit + Co; Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty Images)
4. She Helped Spark the #AskHerMore Movement: Amal’s first major on-camera red carpet appearance was full of awkward gags. Ryan Seacrest presented her and George with “Game Over” t-shirts and Guiliana Rancic flagging down the couple to take a shot of tequila (which they politely declined) instead of the E! co-hosts actually getting to know the notoriously private Amal or spotlighting her accomplishments. This and other majorly misguided red carpet interviews, mostly which focus on women’s appearances versus their work, inspired her to launch the #AskHerMore campaign to highlight more than what leading ladies are wearing. Let’s hope the hashtag sinks in before Oscar time. (via Mic; Photo via Andrew Goodman/Getty Images)
5. She Knows How to Dress like a Boss, Even When She’s Flying: We have major respect for a woman who can kick ass and look good while doing it, and Amal does just that with an enviable amount of grace. Even when she’s at the airport — with large carry-ons in tow — she has the style savvy to appear impeccably polished. (via Refinery29; Photo via Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images)
What #Girlbosses do you look up to, famous or otherwise? Tell us in the comments below.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.