The 10 Best New Makeup Products to Try This April
One thing’s for sure: April showers will not be lessening our obsession with makeup. They couldn’t if they tried (thunderstorms, don’t take that as a challenge), because the made-for-spring beauty releases out this month are too good to pass up. From the bright pastel colors we’ve all come to expect from the season to formulas that leave your skin refreshed, luminous and primed for the sun, these picks below are the 10 you need to add to your newly spring-cleaned makeup kit now… just make sure you’ve got the weather-proof primer and mascara to match.
1. Peppermint, Rosemary + Lemon Loofah Soap ($8): It seems like we can never gauge the right amount of liquid soap to squeeze onto our drugstore loofahs when we go to lather up. That’s why this soap that cleanses and exfoliates as you wash is such a shower (and skin care) savior. Made with the combined powers of vegan soap and a loofah gourd, the course inner part of a cucumber-like vegetable, the all-natural scrubber will help erase dry, flaky skin brought on by icky transitional weather.
2. lilah b. Divine Duo ($46): Two-in-one cosmetics kind of have us at hello with their built-in versatility, but when their packaging is this pretty, they’re impossible to pass up. Go from desk to date like that with a pod you won’t be embarrassed to pull out on the bus. lilah b.’s gorgeous Lip & Cheek Duos are long-wearing creams that come in five elegant shades, which can be layered on to amp up the drama.
3. Charlotte Tilbury Lip Magic Balm ($35): Life can seem like it’s a constant battle against dry lips, but we may have finally found a product that can slay that scaly pout. Meet Charlotte Tilbury’s luxe solution: a balm whose main ingredient — honeybee-made propolis — is said to reverse the effects of a chapped kisser, giving you plump, dewy, baby-soft lips while protecting against the effects of aging. Since it’s formulated to work with your lipstick, glossy or matte, there’s no excuse not to swipe this on every AM.
4. Bite Beauty Watercolor Lipgloss Library ($49): One of our favorite beauty brands is really tapping into our DIY side with this beautiful set of watercolor-inspired lip glosses. In fact, we were so inspired by the kit’s 12 high-shine shades, available at Sephora stores starting April 17, that we made a whole tutorial on how to paint your lips with a wash of color for spring, from date-night-ready pinks to sugary pastels (we went gaga for the mint green tube!). Stay tuned for the post that breaks down how to wear the ethereal range over your favorite lipsticks or on their pretty own.
5. Vincent Longo Chiara Flush Stick ($34): You’ve learned that the trick to flawlessly luminescent skin is to balance matte and shimmer, and this two-in-one color stick cleverly enhances your complexion with both. This multitasker applies the blush and highlighter for you in just one swipe. Enhancing your complexion to flawless levels has never been easier.
6. James Read Sleep Mask Tan ($38): Talk about #wokeuplikethis beauty. This face serum not only moisturizes your skin while you sleep with soothing and restorative natural ingredients like aloe vera and red algae, but it also tans your face overnight. “Catching rays” while the sun is down sounds like the ultimate lazy girl way to get a springtime glow.
7. Essie Spring 2015 Mini Four Pack ($17): We’re not the only ones who anticipated Essie’s curated-for-spring nail colors: the entire range of spring break blues, sandy neutrals and sunset pinks is already sold out on the brand’s official site. But all hope of painting on some of spring’s hottest hues isn’t lost: Nordstrom is selling a condensed four-polish mini pack of the line’s most covetable hues. Considering our latest obsession with travel-sized makeup products for being fresher and more tote-able, this seems like a beauty blessing in disguise.
8. Change Soap Cleansing Grains ($22): Forget facial cleansers that foam: the next big trend in skin care gets grainy. Introducing face grains, a gentle exfoliating wash that’s part clay mask, part… breakfast. Made with all-natural ingredients like straight-off-your-plate almonds, oatmeal and chamomile, along with rejuvenating pink clay, the gritty formula promises to deep clean without stripping your skin.
9. Shiseido Limited Edition Sun Protection Compact Foundation Case ($8): Whether you’re one of those fashion girls who’s all about the ’70s revival trend or just feeling extra groovy from the latest season of Mad Men, this limited edition foundation case is a must-have. Breathe new life into your go-to warm-weather compact — or a new fave. Shiseido’s silky powder foundation packs a heavy UV-protective punch with an SPF 36 formula — with this beach-ready design of swirling ocean blues and greens.
10. Cover FX Custom Cover Drops ($44): As a girl who hates feeling like she’s wearing makeup, I’m hoping the BYOC (build your own coverage) foundation trend doesn’t stop anytime soon. That’s the big draw of this product, which, thanks to its concentrated pigment and clever droplet packaging, makes finding the right amount of coverage a totally custom experience. Mix a few drops with your face moisturizer for a glowing sheer coverage, or use in tandem with foundation for guaranteed full coverage.
What new beauty products have you bought recently or are dying to try? Tell us in the comments below.