Bloat has bested us all at one time or another, but that doesn’t mean we can’t fight back. Reducing salt intake, staying hydrated and eating an assortment of bloat-busting foods will have you rocking your fave swimsuit or skinny jeans fast. Whether it’s that time of the month or the morning after an extra-happy happy hour, reach for these 14 recipes the next time you’re feeling puffy.
2. Black Bread: A few tablespoons of gas-reducing activated charcoal mixed into the loaf gives it its striking black hue. Just enjoy in moderation, because indulging in too many carbs can be counterproductive. (via A Shaggy Dough Story)
3. Peanut-Free Pad Thai (Vegan, Gluten-Free): This tasty pad Thai uses a faux soy sauce that slashes the sodium content of this dish big time compared to our usual takeout order. (via The Honour System)
4. Lemon Water: As counterintuitive as it might sound, staying well-hydrated is essential when it comes to reducing puffiness. This sugar-free, lemon-infused water is a delight to sip on all day long. (via iFOODreal)
5. Rosemary Chicken and Broccoli in Broth: This well-balanced, one-pot meal is a cinch to prepare. Broccoli can be troublesome, so go ahead and swap it out with a similar amount of zucchini or green beans for an equally delicious meal. (via Dine and Dish)
6. Greek Stuffed Cucumbers With Chicken and Yogurt Sauce: With a high water content, cucumbers are a great swap for pita in these gyro-inspired spears. (via The Wholesome Dish)
7. Roasted Asparagus With Poached Eggs and Basil Hollandaise (Gluten-Free): Sure, asparagus may have a less-than-desirable side effect of its own, but as a natural diuretic it can help you shed some swelling in a pinch. This dish is perfect for your next brunch in place of the usual eggs Benedict. (via The Devil Wears Parsley)
8. Pineapple Core Crisps: Nibbling on cubes of fresh pineapple is a sweet way to stay svelte-looking, since they’re loaded with a beneficial digestive enzyme. Instead of just tossing the core, make a batch of these pineapple chips to satisfy any crunchy food cravings. (via Kitchen Sanctuary)
9. Yogurt-Marinated Chicken With Watermelon Salad: Consider making an extra batch of the yogurt sauce to serve alongside this dish. Loaded with gut-friendly probiotics, it’s a great bloat-reducing complement to the summery watermelon salad. (via Martha Stewart)
10. Gingery Green Soup: You’ll get a healthy dose of two rhizomes — ginger and turmeric — in every bowlful of this yogurt-topped soup. As an added bonus, it even promises to help you get over a cold. (via Avocado a Day Nutrition)
12. Rosemary and Toasted Caraway Shortbread: Caraway and rosemary are both great for reducing puffiness. Their flavor in every piece of this sweet-savory shortbread will tantalize your taste buds. (via Bon Appétit)
13. Moroccan Mint Tea: Mint is a terrific tummy tamer, and this tea, which can be enjoyed hot or cold, delivers a generous helping. It also uses caffeine-free green tea to help keep you hydrated. (via A Sage Amalgam)
What are some of your favorite strategies — food, activities, whatever — for defeating or keeping the bloat at bay? Share with us below!