14 Bloat-Busting Recipes for That Time of the Month
Bloat has bested us all at one time or another, but that doesn’t mean we can’t fight back. Reducing salt intake, staying hydrated and eating an assortment of bloat-busting foods will have you rocking your fave swimsuit or skinny jeans fast. Whether it’s that time of the month or the morning after an extra-happy happy hour, reach for these 14 recipes the next time you’re feeling puffy.
2. Black Bread: A few tablespoons of gas-reducing activated charcoal mixed into the loaf gives it its striking black hue. Just enjoy in moderation, because indulging in too many carbs can be counterproductive. (via A Shaggy Dough Story)
3. Peanut-Free Pad Thai (Vegan, Gluten-Free): This tasty pad Thai uses a faux soy sauce that slashes the sodium content of this dish big time compared to our usual takeout order. (via The Honour System)
4. Lemon Water: As counterintuitive as it might sound, staying well-hydrated is essential when it comes to reducing puffiness. This sugar-free, lemon-infused water is a delight to sip on all day long. (via iFOODreal)
5. Rosemary Chicken and Broccoli in Broth: This well-balanced, one-pot meal is a cinch to prepare. Broccoli can be troublesome, so go ahead and swap it out with a similar amount of zucchini or green beans for an equally delicious meal. (via Dine and Dish)
6. Greek Stuffed Cucumbers With Chicken and Yogurt Sauce: With a high water content, cucumbers are a great swap for pita in these gyro-inspired spears. (via The Wholesome Dish)
7. Roasted Asparagus With Poached Eggs and Basil Hollandaise (Gluten-Free): Sure, asparagus may have a less-than-desirable side effect of its own, but as a natural diuretic it can help you shed some swelling in a pinch. This dish is perfect for your next brunch in place of the usual eggs Benedict. (via The Devil Wears Parsley)
8. Pineapple Core Crisps: Nibbling on cubes of fresh pineapple is a sweet way to stay svelte-looking, since they’re loaded with a beneficial digestive enzyme. Instead of just tossing the core, make a batch of these pineapple chips to satisfy any crunchy food cravings. (via Kitchen Sanctuary)
9. Yogurt-Marinated Chicken With Watermelon Salad: Consider making an extra batch of the yogurt sauce to serve alongside this dish. Loaded with gut-friendly probiotics, it’s a great bloat-reducing complement to the summery watermelon salad. (via Martha Stewart)
10. Gingery Green Soup: You’ll get a healthy dose of two rhizomes — ginger and turmeric — in every bowlful of this yogurt-topped soup. As an added bonus, it even promises to help you get over a cold. (via Avocado a Day Nutrition)
12. Rosemary and Toasted Caraway Shortbread: Caraway and rosemary are both great for reducing puffiness. Their flavor in every piece of this sweet-savory shortbread will tantalize your taste buds. (via Bon Appétit)
13. Moroccan Mint Tea: Mint is a terrific tummy tamer, and this tea, which can be enjoyed hot or cold, delivers a generous helping. It also uses caffeine-free green tea to help keep you hydrated. (via A Sage Amalgam)
What are some of your favorite strategies — food, activities, whatever — for defeating or keeping the bloat at bay? Share with us below!