15 Ways to Elevate Your Game of Scones
The first thought that pops into your head when you wake up — coffee. The second? Scones. If it isn’t scones, there’s a very good reason why: It’s because you haven’t had any of these tasty iterations before. The British-born pastry has been around since even before Queen Victoria sat on her throne, but it’s still king of breakfast pastry options today. Here are 15 exciting and (most importantly) delicious ways to recreate the classic breakfast treat.
1. Black Tea and Honey Scones: If you like the taste of a traditional scone, but are looking to amp up the flavor, consider this recipe. These incredibly light and fluffy scones are simple, yet delicious, thanks to the subtle hints of black tea and honey. (via Feed Me Seymour)
2. Cherry Almond Ricotta Drop Scones: The tartness of the dried cherries, the sweetness of the ricotta cheese and the nuttiness of the almonds work together to create this rich and creamy scone. (via Full Fork Ahead)
3. Vegan Chocolate Banana Scones: If you’re worried about bikini season, but craving a scone, try this guilt-free recipe that uses coconut flour, bananas and vegan semi-sweet chocolate. (via Family Fresh Cooking)
4. Savory Scones With Gruyere, Prosciutto and Green Onion: For those who don’t have much of a sweet tooth when it comes to breakfast, this savory scone — oozing with cheese and prosciutto — is right up your alley. (via Kitchen Confidante)
6. Blueberry Cream Scones With Meyer Lemon Glaze: These are the kind of scones you’d expect to find at a fancy bakery. But now, you can create a breakfast masterpiece in the comfort of your home. And have seconds. And thirds. (via Buns in My Oven)
10. Vegan Avocado Scones: You love avocados, but you never thought to put them into a scone until now. The pitted fruit adds an unexpected creamy texture to this slightly sweet, gluten-free scone. (via Family Fresh Cooking)
14. Sweet Potato Scones With Maple Cream Glaze: For those averse to too-sweet treats, consider making a batch of these. The use of the root vegetable adds a subtle flavor that’s equal parts savory and sweet. (via Brown Eyed Baker)
What’s your favorite kind of scone? Tell us in the comments section below!