Today’s hardest working glamsquadders have the lofty task of coiffing Hollywood’s biggest stars — and setting tomorrow’s beauty trends. So with that major (although awesome) responsibility, who do they look to for a little mane inspo? We asked the top hair pros in the industry to divulge their iconic muses and their top product picks to achieve that look.
1. “My all-time favorite muse is Brigitte Bardot. Not only is she the ultimate French girl; she’s a bombshell blonde. Her hair is classic, effortless, and glamorous all in one and she didn’t try too hard (or have a specific look), but can be referenced in almost any style for inspiration.” — Shelley Gregory, L’Oréal Professionnel Artist
2. “Rihanna, because she wears everything so well! Also, whenever I work with her, we’re usually on the same page and she gets it. I love that she doesn’t take herself too seriously and understands the concept of her hair being an accessory. Rihanna doesn’t have a signature look, but whatever we decide to go with, it needs to stay in place, so I would recommend Suave Professionals Natural Hold Compressed Micro Mist Hairspray ($4).” — Ursula Stephen, Unilever Celebrity Stylist
3. “I love Sofia Loren! She reminds me of my mother — they’re from the same region of Italy and both warm and lovely. I got the privilege of working with her when I first started my career and she was kind and so, so glamorous. I remember she brought the whole crew her homemade pasta and it was amazing! Her signature look is done, but still feels sexy and lived-in. I’d recommend using the T3 BodyWaver ($149) for Sofia’s earlier years when her hair was longer and soft, and for her more curly looks, I’d use the T3 Whirl Trio ($270). It’s such an amazing tool… I use it all the time in my kit since it gives you three different curls to choose from.” — Lona Vigi, Celebrity Stylist
4. “I’m inspired by Sita Bellan — she has dark blue hair cut into a unique shape with bangs in the front and a longer shag in the back, so she can style her hair in so many ways. She can put her bangs up to make her look shorter or down to look longer, and she can be classic or trendy with it. I also love Margot Robbie. Her hair is edgy but fun, and her shoulder-length cut is perfect for winter.” — Leo Izquierdo, Co-Founder of IGK Hair Care
6. “My newest muse is Haley Bennett. I adore working with her because she allows me to cut her hair and she takes chances. Last year we cut it all off like Mia Farrow, then we went into the layered bob, and three weeks ago her hair had grown out longer, so we kept it shaggy at the bottom and cut a short fringe so she had something extra to play with. She was tired of having her hair long and being cast as the femme fatale, so she wants something different all the time.” — Garren, Celebrity Stylist and Co-Founder of R+Co
7. “Diana Ross because she broke the mold — not just with her career, but with her style from very early on. For me, she’s the ultimate hair trendsetter with her fearless approach to beauty, whether it was the structured asymmetric Vidal Sassoon cuts in the ’60s, slick tight buns in the ’70s, or wild brushed-out texture in the ’80s. She’s never shied away from playing with different silhouettes, and I’d suggest Caviar Perfect Texture Finishing Spray ($13) for an instant injection of Diana Ross volume.” — Andrew Fitzsimons, Alterna Haircare Brand Ambassador
8. “Scarlett Johansson is one of my muses. I remember she came in to get her hair done one day and I had started using a new technique combining foils and balayage. While I didn’t let her know this was one of the first times I was using this method, I took her natural hair, lightened it up a bit, and added baby blonde sunbursts. It was the perfect technique to create her new look and she loved it. I would also recommend Kerastase Bain Chromatique Riche ($41) and Kerastase Fondant Chromatique ($43).” — Joel Warren, Beauty Director of The Salon Project (Photo via Ray Tamarra/GC Images)
9. “Jane Birkin will forever be my hair muse! She and her hair are the epitome of effortless chic. Her signature fringe and easy waves have inspired countless hairstyles I’ve created over my career, and Dove Unscented Dry Shampoo ($4) is my go-to product when I’m looking to get that cool-girl, second-day texture that Jane Birkin was so known for.” — Mark Townsend, Dove Celebrity Stylist
10. “Tracee Ellis Ross has the best hair in the biz — her curls are legendary and her hair always performs on the red carpet and in photos. Smooth ‘N Shine Curl Defining Mousse ($3) will definitely help you get her look.” — Larry Sims, Celebrity Stylist
11. “Lizabeth Scott. Not only is she an iconic movie star, but she has a very classy and feminine style that inspires me with my own clients. I love her films and I think she is the definition of glamour.” — Renato Campora, Celebrity Stylist
12. “My muse is Vanessa Hudgens. I love using Toppik Hair Building Fibers ($8) with Vanessa anytime we do an updo for the front of the hairline. I also love using it when we do a fresh blowout (with a middle or side part) to soften the part to make the hair look fuller.” — Chad Wood, Celebrity Stylist
13. “My celebrity muses include Gigi Hadid, Bella Hadid, Zendaya, Keira Knightley, Fergie, and Lily Aldridge because they have great hair. So if you think your hair gets weakened easily, because you dyed your hair, or if you see some sort of hair loss — don’t wait! I always recommend fixing the problem early with Viviscal Dietary Supplements ($50) so you can save the hair that is already there.” — Jennifer Yepez, Celebrity Stylist
14. “I have always been inspired by Veronica Lake’s soft waves. It was part of the inspiration behind the Old Hollywood look that you can get with the Beachwaver Pro 1 ($199), and she is someone I reference all the time for styling celebrities on the red carpet. You can achieve this style by rolling the Beachwaver under, releasing the curl, and setting with a pin. After it cools, you can use the On Set Pro Brush ($42) with flexible hairspray to smooth out the wave pattern.” — Sarah Potempa, Celebrity Stylist
15. “My muse is Kerry Washington. I have transformed her hair into many different styles and she has carried them all very well. Most of all she has become a trendsetter and is known for her signature waves.” — Takisha Sturdivant, Celebrity Stylist
16. “Sienna Miller. She has rocked short hair, long hair, period and modern styles, and always looks cool, beautiful, and so effortless. Although her many styles are so versatile, she always has soft texture. I would suggest the Suave Professionals Natural Refresh Dry Shampoo ($4) to get fullness, lift, and texture at the same time.” — Marcus Francis, Suave Professionals Celebrity Stylist
Who’s your celebrity hairstyle idol? Tweet us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.