20 Excuses to Eat Cake for Breakfast
Coffee cake is a one pan wonder when it comes to hosting brunch. Less baking, less mess and a delicious breakfast to boot. While the traditional coffee cake is always a winner, we’ve found that your guests will be more impressed if you add some simple additions. Invite your friends over this weekend and impress the pants off of them with one of these fancy pants coffee cakes. Serve with some coffee (or how about some tea lattes?) and you have yourself a lovely morning.
1. Super Crumb: We all know the best part about coffee cake is the sugary crumbs on top. So why not super size those crumbs for a Super Crumb Coffee Cake combo meal? We’re lovin’ it. (via Sally’s Baking Addiction)
2. Coffee Cake Pound Cake: Please excuse the poor image quality and focus on what we have to say: The name “pound cake” is secret for pound-of-butter cake in case you didn’t know. Add some cinnamon and sugar to that pound-of-butter cake and you have some cinnamony, buttery goodness. (via My Recipes)
4. Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese Lemon Coffee Cake: Do as the Greeks might do by adding some yogurt and lemon to your coffee cake. Light, fluffy and citrusy it will be. (via Food Sweet)
5. Overnight Cranberry Coffee Cake: This coffee cake gets healthy thanks to the spelt, fruit and almonds. Make the batter the night before your brunch party, refrigerate and bake fresh the morning of! (via BHG)
6. Hummingbird Coffee Cake: The birds will be humming when this coffee cake is served, and every guest will be flying sky high as soon as they see this morning cake filled with bananas, pineapple and coconut. (via Annie’s Eats)
7. Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake Twist: This coffee cake is so pretty that no one will believe you made it. Just a little dough-slicing and twisting will make this a bakery-look-a-like pastry! (via Life’s a Feast)
10. Blackberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake: You can make a coffee cake or coffee cupcakes with this recipe. Either way, blackberries and cream cheese sound like a winning combination. (via Amanda’s Cookin)
12. Coffee Cake Donuts: Homer Simpson would agree that donuts should come in all flavors. Especially coffee cake. He probably won’t even notice that they are baked, making them a little healthier. (via Offbeat + Inspired)
19. Eggnog Coffee Cake Muffins: The holiday season is hectic enough as is, so whip up a batch of eggnog muffins ahead of time. Serve with some classic eggnog, and your guests will be happy as can be. (via Two Peas and their Pod)
20. Pumpkin Coffee Cake in a Mug: You made your pies and you have just a little pumpkin leftover. Don’t throw it out! You have just enough to make yourself a breakfast treat for one. (via Heather Likes Food)
How do you make your coffee cake extra special? Fill us in on your secrets in the comments below!