How To Make This Copycat Trader Joe’s Healthy 8-Veggie Mix at Home
Trader Joe’s Healthy 8 Veggie Mix has always been a staple in our kitchen, and learning how to make it from scratch has been a true savior for last-minute weeknight meals and mid-day hunger crashes. While we love that you can get it at the store, nothing beats customizing it with veggies you love and making twice as much for less money. Once you have a big container of pre-chopped vegetables in your fridge, it’s a lot easier to cook up fast and nutritious meals or eat as a salad. That’s great news in the summer, when we’d much rather crack open a bottle of rosé and grab dinner from the fridge than stand over a hot stove waiting for our food to be ready.
Trader Joe’s uses chopped green bell pepper, green and red cabbage, carrots, broccoli, jicama, celery, and radishes to make its mix. You can switch up this formula to suit your needs, as long as you use crunchy vegetables and chop everything to about the same size so it will cook evenly. Don’t be shy, either — you can add more than eight ingredients if it’s what your taste buds want.
Some of our favorite ways to enjoy it include:
- simmered in veggie broth to make a simple soup
- sautéed with garlic in olive oil and tossed with short pasta
- drizzled with salad dressing and a squeeze of lemon for a light lunch
- tossed with couscous, rice, and other grains to make pilaf or chilled grain salads
- stir-fried with sesame oil and tofu, then mixed with our favorite sauce
- added to tacos and wraps for a bit of crunch
Healthy Chopped Veggie Mix RECIPE
Recipe note: For our rendition, we swapped out radishes for yellow bell peppers to give it a little more color (and because there were gorgeous bell peppers at the farmers’ market and no radishes in sight). Just another reason to appreciate the flexibility of this go-to veggie blend!
This usually lasts for about 5 days, though that may change depending on your refrigerator and the quality of your produce.
(Makes 8 cups)
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup jicama, peeled
- 1 cup carrot, peeled
- 1 cup green cabbage
- 1 cup red cabbage
- 1 cup celery
- 1 cup broccoli florets and stems
1. Chop each of the vegetables into similar sizes.
2. Mix all ingredients together.
3. Store in an airtight container and use as needed.
Follow us on Pinterest for more healthy eating ideas.
(Recipe and photos via Justina Huddleston / Brit + Co)