9 Products Any Bride Who DIYs Her Wedding Makeup Should Own
When it comes to your wedding, doing your own makeup on the big day can be an awesome idea for a few reasons. Not only is this method a cost saver, but it also means getting your makeup done by the person who knows you best — you — and who doesn’t love an excuse to shop for beauty products? If you’re putting yourself in charge of your beauty routine, know that some products will serve you better than others. We did our due diligence and read up on some popular bridal beauty faves, recommended most by professionals who specialize in dolling brides up on the daily. Scroll on for nine must-have beauty picks for a long-lasting, flawless face you can totally DIY on your special day.
1. Tarte Lights, Camera, Splashes 4-in-1 Waterproof Mascara ($21): Your wedding day is one of the most important days of your life, so it’s natural to get a little teary-eyed. When you choose a mascara, naturally you should consider a waterproof option. This one from Tarte will not only lengthen, volumize and fill out your lashes, but it’s also waterproof. Because with so many things on your mind on your big day, raccoon eyes shouldn’t be one of them.
3. Stila Convertible Color Cream Blush ($25): DIY your way to blushing bride status — literally — using a versatile product you can layer on for sheer or more opaque coverage. You can use it on your lips too, which makes touch-ups throughout the night a total breeze.
6. Makeup For Ever HD Microfinish Powder ($35): After putting in all that hard work, you want to make sure your makeup lasts all night long, through photos, ceremony, dinner and beyond. This translucent powder is finely milled, so it goes on sheer without messing up your hard work.
8. Kevyn Aucoin Essential Eye Shadow Set Palette #1 ($58): Neutral shadows are an absolute must for most bride’s beauty regimens, and this particular palette comes highly recommended. With five mix-and-match neutral shades, this collection of shadows can be used together to create a sultry, smokey eye, or alone for a more subdued look. Either way, you can’t go wrong with this array of color choices.
9. Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat ($42): This multi-tasker is a cult fave among professionals for a reason, but is great for amateur makeup artists as well since it’s so easy to use. You can use it on its own or over makeup, and it simultaneously brightens, conceals and highlights, making it a big-impact addition to your big day beauty routine. Dab a few dots underneath your eyes and on the high points of your face for a bit of natural highlight that will have your complexion glowing all night long.
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.