When it comes to your wedding, doing your own makeup on the big day can be an awesome idea for a few reasons. Not only is this method a cost saver, but it also means getting your makeup done by the person who knows you best — you — and who doesn’t love an excuse to shop for beauty products? If you’re putting yourself in charge of your beauty routine, know that some products will serve you better than others. We did our due diligence and read up on some popular bridal beauty faves, recommended most by professionals who specialize in dolling brides up on the daily. Scroll on for nine must-have beauty picks for a long-lasting, flawless face you can totally DIY on your special day.
1. Tarte Lights, Camera, Splashes 4-in-1 Waterproof Mascara ($21): Your wedding day is one of the most important days of your life, so it’s natural to get a little teary-eyed. When you choose a mascara, naturally you should consider a waterproof option. This one from Tarte will not only lengthen, volumize and fill out your lashes, but it’s also waterproof. Because with so many things on your mind on your big day, raccoon eyes shouldn’t be one of them.
2. RMS Beauty Living Luminizer ($38): Amp up that natural lit-from-within glow with a creamy, buildable highlighter. It’s impossible to go wrong with this particular formula, which can be worn sheer for a subtle highlight, or layered on for a trendy strobing effect, depending on your preferred bridal look.
3. Stila Convertible Color Cream Blush ($25): DIY your way to blushing bride status — literally — using a versatile product you can layer on for sheer or more opaque coverage. You can use it on your lips too, which makes touch-ups throughout the night a total breeze.
4. Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation ($62): On your wedding day, you want to look like the best version of you. This foundation, which claims a natural feel that’s like “your skin but better,” is another great buildable option for the DIY bride. What’s more, this formula is very much photo-friendly, so you won’t have to worry about a dreaded flashback in those all-important photos.
5. Laura Mercier Secret Concealer ($25): You’ll want to look majorly fresh-faced when you’re walking down the aisle, so under-eye circles are a no-go. Try a concealer that offers opaque coverage while still looking natural, and has a bit of hydration so the product doesn’t settle into fine lines. This Laura Mercier concealer fits the bill, and comes in shades that specifically counteract the colors of dark under-eye shadows, so it both covers and conceals.
6. Makeup For Ever HD Microfinish Powder ($35): After putting in all that hard work, you want to make sure your makeup lasts all night long, through photos, ceremony, dinner and beyond. This translucent powder is finely milled, so it goes on sheer without messing up your hard work.
7. Joey Healy Brow Powder ($28): Even if you don’t normally style your brows, consider pulling out all the stops for your DIY bridal look. If you’re going for Cara Delevingne brows, try grabbing an angled brush and get to work filling them in with a brow powder. This pick is a particularly great choice for brides doing their own makeup because of its natural-looking finish and its waterproof formula, which will ensure the pigment lasts all night.
8. Kevyn Aucoin Essential Eye Shadow Set Palette #1 ($58): Neutral shadows are an absolute must for most bride’s beauty regimens, and this particular palette comes highly recommended. With five mix-and-match neutral shades, this collection of shadows can be used together to create a sultry, smokey eye, or alone for a more subdued look. Either way, you can’t go wrong with this array of color choices.
9. Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat ($42): This multi-tasker is a cult fave among professionals for a reason, but is great for amateur makeup artists as well since it’s so easy to use. You can use it on its own or over makeup, and it simultaneously brightens, conceals and highlights, making it a big-impact addition to your big day beauty routine. Dab a few dots underneath your eyes and on the high points of your face for a bit of natural highlight that will have your complexion glowing all night long.
Any must-have products we missed? Tag us on Instagram with a snap of your dream wedding beauty routine!