How to DIY Katy Perry’s “Dark Horse” Makeup Look for Halloween
We didn’t just hack Katy Perry’s epic “Dark Horse” music video outfits to turn them into easily DIY-able Halloween costumes — yep, all four looks! We’re also breaking down her killer Cleopatra-inspired cat eye step-by-step. Both the icy blue shadow and graphic black liner are as essential to this KP incarnation as her blunt cut wig. ‘Cause really, no Katy Perry look is complete without rainbow-colored makeup and a wig.
So you wanna play with magic? Scroll through to learn how to create a makeup look that’s fit for a Queen of the Nile.
2. Now take a flat shadow brush and fill in your eyelid with a shimmery bright teal shadow like Peace from Urban Decay’s Deluxe Eyeshadow Palette ($23). Blend it right up to the edge of the line you made for the cat eye.
3. Go over the original cat eye line with a bright blue matte shadow like Chaos from Urban Decay’s Electric Palette ($49), but this time extend it more into the crease of your lid. You are trying to create a gradual line that will fade almost all the way into to the inner corner of your eye.
4. Trace over the cat eye line you just created with a black gel liner like Stila’s Smudge Crayon ($22). Use a really fine point liner brush for this step.
5. Using the same gel liner + fine point brush, line your entire upper lash line and inner lower lash line, which should fade into a fine line toward your outer lash line. Make these two lines meet at a point that’s drawn out slightly onto the bridge of your nose.
6. Add more of the bright blue matte shadow with a flat shadow brush to the inside of the cat eye flick to make the lines pop.
7. Extend your lower lash line out to meet your cat eye flick with a shimmery gold shadow like Half-Baked from Urban Decay’s Naked palette ($54). Use another fine pointed liner brush for this step.
8. Use a smaller flat brush to apply the same gold shadow to the inner corner of your eyes. Blend it into the bright teal for a soft blended finish.
9. Use a fluffy shadow brush and gently layer the shimmery bright teal shadow (that’s Peace from Urban Decay’s Deluxe Eyeshadow Palette ($28) again, folks) onto the center of your eyelids.
10. Curl your lashes!
11. Apply a few coats of your favorite volumizing mascara.
12. Fill in those brows to make them bold and full — our go-to tool is Billion Dollar Brow’s Universal Pencil ($12).
13. Now heavily conceal underneath your eyes to lighten, brighten and smooth out any flaws so you have a solid foundation to apply the intricate liner that finalizes this look!
<em>there’s no goin’ back. </em>Maleficient. Switch it up with green shadow and you’re easily the Bride of Frankenstein or a really, really wicked witch.
<em>do</em>“Dark Horse” heroine is your October 31 muse.
Are you dressing up as Katy Perry for Halloween? Which other celebs’ looks do you want to DIY? Tell us about your favorite pop culture costumes in the comments below.
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.