15 DIY Headbands and Hairpins to Make for NYE
New Year’s Eve is synonymous with party dresses, bubbly drinks, and of course, sparkly party hats. And while the latter is undeniably festive, especially when paired with rambunctious noise makers, we’ve been eyeing a few more ladylike alternatives to traditional NYE headwear: we’re talking headbands and hairpins. When they’re amped up with sparkling embellishments, they channel all that’s luxe and lighthearted about ringing in the new year. So mix up your headwear this NYE with these 15 headbands and hairpins that you can DIY.
1. Confetti Crowns: This trio of confetti covered crowns add a vibrant pop to any pulled back do, especially stacked three-high. Follow this blogger’s lead and mix your confetti shapes and colors for maximum impact. (via Best Friends for Frosting)
2. Star Garland Crown: You won’t believe how easy this headband is to make. Simply wrap star-specked garland ‘round and ‘round your noggin and you’re set for the night with a girly, glistening look. (via Keiko Lynn)
3. LED Headbands: We originally made these awesome LED-powered headbands to rock on Halloween, but it would be just as fun to wear ‘em as you countdown to midnight. Try rocking the five-pronged crown you see here, or instead of shaping one to say “boo,” loop it to read “2014.” (via Brit + Co.)
4. Sparkly Gemstone Hairpins: What happens when you stack gems on top of sequins on top of gems? You get these killer iridescent hairpins, that’s what! Keep your ‘do simple so that these sparkly accessories can really shine. (via Minted Strawberry)
7. Tulle and Chain Headband: While we obviously can’t get enough of tool’s poofy properties, we’re taking things to a more chic level with this dainty tulle, chain, and bead headband. Rock this look with a glitzy jumpsuit for a ‘70s-inspired look you can really boogie down with. (via Brit + Co.)
8. Rodarte Star Pins: Maybe you’re the serious sort. In which case, a silly cone-shaped hat will completely tarnish your image ’til 2035. For you, sophisticated celestial orbs must surround your melon. (via Hello, Whimsy)
9. Pipe Cleaner Headbands: That’s right guys, we busted out metallic pipe cleaners to make grown-up versions of playful party headbands. This shiny trio was meant to be worn in photo booth pictures. (via Brit + Co.)
11. Floral Happy Birthday DIY: We love the idea of using wire to spell out phrases like Happy Birthday or Happy New Year, much like we did with the LED headbands we showed you earlier. Spray paint them gold for a simple, luxe look, or embellish with silk flowers to add a carefree frill. (via Oh Happy Day)
13. Pom Pom Headband: While yarn pom poms might be the ultimate gift topper, we be you didn’t realize they’re perfect head toppers too! We be that everyone will be asking to try on this adorable DIY headband. (via A Subtle Revelry)
Will you be rocking hats, headbands, or other hair accessories for NYE? What are your favorite ways to amp up your going out look? Tell us in the comments below!