16 Holiday Gift Toppers You Can DIY
If you’re gunning to win best gift wrapper this Christmas, there’s one other thing to consider besides beautiful gift wrap, and that’s awesome gift toppers! Let’s just say, it’s the equivalent of a cherry on top of a scoop of ice cream—it’s a simple addition that makes the moment feel instantly extra special. These 16 gift toppers that you can DIY are sure to make any package stand out under the tree.
1. Sparkly Gift Wrap Toppers: We love to see what happens when people think outside of the box with their materials, like this glittery ribbon. On this first package, it creates a beautiful woven pattern on top of plain wrapping paper, and on the second, it’s looped to make a perfectly tied bow. (via The Sweetest Occasion)
3. Tinsel Bow Toppers: It’s easy to go overboard with tinsel, but these bows use just the right amount to make this white-wrapped gift stand out from the pack. Just be sure to knot the bunch of tinsel before you trim it—it’s easier to handle that way. (via Whimseybox)
4. Adorned Glitter Clothespin Toppers: These quirky gift toppers are just too cute. Be sure to tell the recipient that once their package has been opened, these glittery clothespins can be used as ornaments—just clip ‘em to a tree! (via Creature Comforts)
5. Paper Snowflakes: This definitely isn’t a kindergarten-level paper snowflake! (Do you see how amazingly intricate it is?) Once you get the folding technique down, it’s all a matter of making the right cuts. Then hang as garland or use as a gift topper! (via How About Orange)
7. Wool Acorn Gift Toppers: We can’t decide what we like more about these adorable gift toppers: their foraged tops or their colorful, wool-felted base. Either way, we’re just nuts about ‘em! (We had to!) (via Free People Blog)
8. Pom Pom Topper: This DIY basic has quickly become the go-to gift topper, and we’re totally okay with that! If you haven’t made a pom pom—they’re so easy! This is a must-try for this holiday season. (via Cotton & Flax)
9. Stitched Gift Tags: There’s something so special about these stitched toppers, which give these gifts an extremely personal touch. Red embroidery thread makes the crisp printed gift tags pop on the packaging. (via Shim Tokk)
11. Duct Tape Gift Wrap: Once you top your gifts with duct tape (you know it comes in like, 100 colors and patterns, right?), there’s no going back to that clear office supply variety! It adds such a significant sheen to a kraft paper-wrapped gifts. (via The Sweetest Occasion)
12. Sponge Letter Gift Toppers: We can sum up these gift toppers in two words: merry and bright! A glue-soaked sponge in the shape of an initial holds colorful sprinkles in place—just be sure to tell the kiddos it’s not for eating! (You can always sub in confetti to make it look less cake-like). (via Créme de la Craft)
13. Tree Gift Toppers: We love how festive embroidery floss take these twigs to gift-worthy levels. The addition of a silver star adds a perfect hint of glam to the natural looking materials. (via Fellow Fellow)
14. Pom Pom Trim: You won’t believe how easy it is to get this colorful look! Ready for it? There’s no making involved! We highly recommend you add pom pom yarn to your gift wrapping prep list. ;) (via Small Good Things)
16. Neon Animal Favors: These neon painted animal gift toppers have a total Babes in Toyland feel going on, and we just can’t get enough. Looking for a chicer approach? Try painting the toys gold! (via Hello Bee)
What’s your gift wrapping routine like? Do you go all out with beautiful paper and personalized toppers? Or do you think it’s what’s inside the package that counts? Tell us in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)