DIY This Easy Metallic Fanny Pack and Get Ready for the Festival Season
Coachella officially introduced us to the festival season. That means it’s time to dust off your spring flower crown, practice your easy festival braid, and wear the latest trend: a cute fanny pack in a metallic shade. Instead of taking the easy route and buying one, why not DIY your very own? It’s cheaper and way more fun!
Materials and Tools:
- metallic faux leather scrap
- matching thread
- matching zipper
- thick ribbon
- clip buckles
- tailor’s chalk
- fabric scissors or rotary cutter
- sewing machine
1. Fold your fabric in half with the wrong side facing you. Then grab a rounded object and use it as a template to trace its outline as shown below.
2. Use the fabric scissors to cut the shape.
3. Draw a rectangle that is half an inch smaller than your zipper.
4. Cut it out.
5. Use some pins to secure the zipper in place, then sew.
6. Spot the center of your shape and draw a horizontal line. Then sew the thick ribbon just above that line.
7. Fold your shape in half, place the ribbon ends inside that shape, open the zipper, and pin in place. Sew, following the dashed line.
8. Turn the fanny pack right side out and sew once again, following the dashed line.
9. Wear the fanny pack, thread the ribbon through the clip buckles, and cut the strand to your desired length.
10. Use the sewing machine and sew as shown below.
First, fold your fabric in half with the wrong side (the side you don’t want to show) facing you. Then grab a rounded object like a bowl or a tray and trace its outline using tailor’s chalk. Cut, following the line you just traced. Next draw a rectangle that is half an inch smaller than your zipper. The rectangle I drew was half an inch tall and seven inches wide. At this point, cut the rectangle and use some pins to secure the zipper in place, then sew. Spot the centre of the shape and draw a horizontal line. Then sew the ribbon (or belt) just above that line, as shown above.
Fold the rounded shape in half, place the ribbon ends inside, open the zipper, and pin in place. Sew, following the dashed line you can see in the picture above. Then turn the fanny pack right side out and sew, once again following the dashed line to create a crisp edge. Lastly, wear the fanny pack, thread the ribbon through the clip buckles, and cut the strand to your desired length. Sew the ribbon to secure the buckles in place and you’re done!
Look how beautifully it pairs with this DIY metallic bun cuff we created a couple of months ago!
Such a fun sewing project! Perfect to hold your phone, lipstick, and snacks.
What summer festival DIYs have you created? Tweet us a pic @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.