8 Style Trends Spotted at Coachella That Are Going to Be Everywhere This Summer
It’s day three of Coachella and Brit + Co is right at the heart of the festival. Yesterday, we spotlighted some Coachella DIYers. Today, it’s all about trends, baby. It’s already becoming increasingly clear that there are some hot summer fashion picking up momentum here. No surprise considering what a style mecca Coachella is. We’re rounding up our top picks for looks that are about to explode this summer. Take a peek and maybe try a style or two out yourself!
1. Off-the-shoulder-tops: Off-the-shoulder tops totally help you channel your inner flower child. This look was absolutely everywhere at Coachella 2016, and it’s not hard to see why — it’s skin-baring without being too revealing. Plus, no shoulder strap tan lines.
2. Two pieces: Made popular by Taylor Swift (who is here at Coachella to support her bf and Sunday night headliner Calvin Harris FYI), two pieces are pretty much here to stay. This stylish attendee rocked this gorg white striped outfit that transitions easily from the office to the bar.
3. Half-up topknots: Hands down, THIS is the hairstyle of Coachella 2016 and possibly of the entire year. Mark our words. In case you want to really step up your topknot game, try adding in some braids as this trendy festivalgoer did here. Muss it up for some extra coolness.
4. Choker necklaces: The ’90s are back, y’all. Choker necklaces are so DIYable and so hot right now. Make your own with a leather cord and add charms to customize your look. This lady isn’t rocking just one but TWO trends on our list (told you off-the-shoulder tops are in).
5. Braids, braids and more braids: Yes, we know. It’s not news braids are über popular — and aside from a wealth of cornrows, milkmaid, fishtails and boxer braids spotted all over the festival — this girl decided to do glitter roots as well. We dig!
6. Body suits: Body suits are perfect for pairing with flowy skirt, high-waisted pants and denim cutoffs this summer. You don’t have to wear it alone as this bold Coachella goer did, but hey, the world is your oyster!
7. Crochet everything: Crochet bralettes, shorts, bikinis and kimonos are making a big appearance at this year’s event. And the best part is you can DIY it! In fact, we have an awesome online crochet course that will have to creating your fave summer outfit in no time.
8. Cowboy boots: It’s the wild, wild west when it comes to footwear because cowboy boots are super on-trend right now. These white hot cowboy boots are an awesome choice if traditional brown or black isn’t really your speed. Yep, these boots were made for making a statement.
Are there any trends you’re excited to try? Tweet us @BritandCo!
(Photos via Brittany Griffin/Brit + Co)
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)