How to Win at Father’s Day on a Budget
Dads. We love them and we want to show them we care, but sometimes it can be tricky to find something affordable for The Man Who Has Everything. That’s why today we’ve teamed up with Hallmark Gold Crown to show you 13 ways to bring a smile to Dad’s face without emptying your piggy bank. We’ve got DIY projects, recipes and a handful of must-buys that Dad will love. Check out our list below.
2. DIY Beard Balm: Is your dad rocking a hipster beard these days? If so, he’s probably in need of some aromatic beard balm. Follow our tutorial and DIY this hair product yourself — we’ve even got a printable so you can label your jar!
3. World’s Best Dad Cupcake Mug: That’s right. This is an edible mug with a cupcake inside. Dads with a sweet tooth will go nuts for this version of the classic World’s Best Dad mug. Covered in fondant molded into a cup, this chocolate cupcake is all he needs for a Father’s Day win.
4. Kiddie Car Classics ($20+): This one is for the car-lover dad. Head to the garage (Dad’s favorite “room” in the house) and give him that classic car he’s always wanted. The mini version, that is. These collectors items will look great on his desk or a shelf in his man cave. Stick with the theme and bring him a beer in a Mustang pint glass, and tell him you love him in a car-themed card (or shall we call it a car-d?).
7. Customized Grill Tools ($17): Go for the quintessential dad gift and purchase some grilling tools for your barbecue-master dad.
Then take it to the next level by customizing your tool set with a wood-burning tool. Check out our post for the step-by-step. Don’t forget to pick up some burger fixin’s and some charcoal so that Dad can immediately use his present (and make YOU some dinner!).
10. DIY Bow Tie: Upgrade Dad’s wardrobe this year with a handmade bow tie. It sounds like a challenge, but this DIY is actually a cinch. Bonus points to whoever can find the most amazing patterned fabric for this project. Dads — they love a crazy patterned tie, amirite?
11. Open-Face Steak Sandwich: If all Dad really wants for his special day is a juicy steak, make his dreams come true with an open-face steak sandwich doused in drool-worthy balsamic sauce. The open face gives it a much more dramatic effect, since he can see the perfectly cooked slices of meat (who needs two pieces of bread anyway?!). Go for aesthetics, people.
12. DIY Cornhole: There’s no better gift you can give Dad than the gift of QT. And there’s no better way to spend QT than outside playing lawn games. This year, make your pop his very own cornhole set. Also, be a good kid and let him win ;)
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.