How to Look Ah-ma-zing in a Cap and Gown in 5 Easy Steps
Ah, graduation day. It’s arguably one of the most pivotal moments in a young adult’s life. Not only does this mark the end of school (seriously, we spend half our lives in class), but the ceremony itself recognizes all the hard work, late nights and pounds (hello, freshman fifteen) you put in. Oh, and let’s not forget it’s the perfect excuse to pump up Vitamin C’s “Friends Forever.” If you’re like most grads, your family and friends come from all over to come see you walk and accept your degree, so it’s only fair that you put in a little effort into your appearance, right? Here are some style tips to help you put your best foot forward when receiving that fancy new degree of yours.
1. Choose the Right Dress: It might be well and fine to wear a bodycon dress underneath your cap and gown, but remember, you’ll more than likely be taking it off come the celebratory dinner. Opt for something a little more grown up with a flirty and feminine twist. Go wild with patterns, colors and embellishments — the world (and dress section) is your oyster! (Photos via Timur Emek/Getty, Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
2. Ditch the Dress for Super Stylish Pants: If you’re itching to make a bit of fashion statement and a regular ol’ dress just won’t do, try switching it up with a matching set. If you decide to sport a crop top, be sure to keep it classy with a high waistline. And if you’re feeling ultra daring, reach for some culottes. (Photo via Caroline McCredie/Getty)
3. Wear Comfortable Shoes: If you’re anything like us, your biggest fear on graduation day is tripping on stage. Since wearing sky-high heels definitely ups those chances, we suggest picking kicks with a chunky heel or wedge to minimize the risk of embarrassing yourself in front of your friends, family and that cute guy from psych class. (Photos via Glitter Inc., Le 21ème)
4. Make a Statement With Jewelry: Since your cap and gown will more than likely cause you to look like everyone else in the room, try adding a hint of personality with your jewelry choices. Choosing a bold ring or bracelet usually does the trick and makes you feel a tad more stylish than the pack. (Photos via Larrimor Blog, Lulu Frost Blog)
5. Go Au Naturale: Nothing is worse (okay, tripping maybe) than looking at your graduation pictures the next day and realizing your makeup and hair were more “club” than “grad.” Reduce your chances of this by sticking with a natural makeup look. A hint of mascara, a pretty petal lip and dewy skin should do the trick. As for your hair, if you’re going for a carefree vibe, try loose waves. We’re also huge fans of a chic braid or loose chignon. (Photos via John Shearer/Getty, Lorenzo Santini/Getty)
Do we have any soon-to-be grads out there? What are you going to wear? We want to hear in the comments!
(Feature Photo via Fox Broadcasting Company)
Scene: It's a few days before Thanksgiving and you've just found out you're hosting your pod's Friendsgiving, kids and all — help! Well, you've come to the right place because together with Camp by Walmart, we're showing you how to put together a beautiful DIY Thanksgiving tablescape in a few easy-to-recreate steps. Even the kids can get in on the fun as you learn how to design pumpkin-printed placemats or a glittering table runner in this choose-your-own-adventure crafting video. Head on over to Camp by Walmart to watch it now.