Finally! A Greens-Packed Breakfast That Isn’t a Smoothie
The Mediterranean Diet was just named the best overall diet for 2018, so to kick the year off right, whip up this shakshuka recipe packed with all your green goddess goodies like spinach, kale, and parsley and topped with fresh eggs. But what is shakshuka? It’s Hebrew for “all mixed up,” and is one of the most popular dishes from Israel that’s also served in the Middle East and North Africa. Traditionally, shakshuka is a dish of eggs poached in a tomato-based sauce that’s often spiced with cumin and harissa, but this green twist is a fresh, vibrant, and unique way to enjoy eggs any time of the day.
green egg shakshuka
Recipe from Nicole Iizuka
(Makes 3-4 servings)
- 8-10 fresh tomatillos, peeled
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large bunch kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 large bunch spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 large eggs
- 4-5 sprigs dill
- sliced crusty bread, for serving
- Set oven to broil and remove husks from tomatillos. Place tomatillos on a baking sheet and broil for 6-8 minutes, or until the tops are blistered and soft. Remove from the oven and use a fork to mash. Set aside.
- Into a large pan over medium heat add butter and diced onions and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until onions are soft. Add kale, spinach, parsley, garlic, and the blistered tomatillos to the pan and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes, or until all of the greens are wilted. Stir in salt, cumin, red chili flakes, black pepper, and lemon juice until incorporated.
- Using the back of a spoon, make 4 small wells in the greens and then crack an egg into each well. Cover the pan with a lid and let cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the egg whites are no longer translucent.
- Remove from the heat and garnish with fresh dill. Serve immediately with crusty bread.
(Photos via Nicole Iizuka)