Gwyneth Paltrow Says She Always Makes This Dish for Her Friends
Cookbookmarked! is our new series where we review the latest cookbooks from the foodie influencers you follow. Check back often to find out which new releases are worth your hard-earned cash and the recipes you should try first from each.
It's detox season, and who better to show us how to do it well than Gwyneth Paltrow? The Goop founder has just released a new cookbook, The Clean Plate: Eat, Reset, Heal ($32) that showcases various six week-long cleanse plans along with downright delicious recipes to nourish and energize you on your specific journey. She focuses on simple, whole ingredients and avoids common food sensitivities so all can dish happily.
We took an early look at some of the recipes in the book and admit that this simple halibut will be on steady meal rotation around here. Cooked en papillote until tender and flaky, this halibut steams with a bevy of aromatics, including ginger and lemon. We love that you can prepare it and serve it on the table in less than 30 minutes, no special equipment or fancy ingredients needed.
Halibut en Papillote with Lemon, Mushrooms & Toasted Sesame Oil
As far as I'm concerned, almost anything with toasted sesame oil is going to be good, and that's certainly true of this ginger-scented halibut and- mushroom parcel. Like the previous papillote recipe, this serves two but could be easily scaled up for a bigger crowd (It seems like all my friends want to come over when I'm making it).
- 2 medium shiitake, oyster, or maitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 (6-ounce) halibut fillets, skin removed
- flaky sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 lemon slices
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lay out two 9×11-inch sheets of parchment paper on a flat surface.
2. Place the sliced mushrooms in the lower third of each parchment sheet. Season the halibut fillets generously with salt and pepper and place them on top of the mushrooms.
3. Divide the lemon zest, ginger, scallions, coconut aminos, sesame oil, and lemon slices evenly between the fillets.
4. Fold the top half of the parchment paper over the fish to make a rectangle. Starting on one side, crimp the edges together tightly so no liquid can escape and the contents are completely enclosed. Repeat with the other two edges, then place the parcels on a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets.
5. Transfer the parcels to individual plates. Carefully cut open the parchment paper (the steam inside is hot) and serve.
Find more nutritious recipe ideas by following us on Pinterest.
(Excerpted from the book THE CLEAN PLATE: EAT, RESET, HEAL by Gwyneth Paltrow. Copyright © 2019 by Gwyneth Paltrow. Reprinted with permission of Grand Central Life & Style. All rights reserved. Photo via Ditte Isager, copyright 2019.)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)