October 31st is basically here, folks. And whether you’re trick-or-treating or putting on a more adult affair, we’ve got a playlist to get even the most surly ghosts and ghouls dancing. We’ve thrown a little bit of everything in here, from spooky classics to unsettling indie rock and even a bewitching love song or two. So carve your pumpkins, finish your costume and turn up this playlist for a Halloween night that’ll have the dead turning over in their graves.
1. “Disturbia” by Rihanna: Not only is the title very appropriate to a night of bumps and thumps, this catchy pop song will have your Halloween dance party off to a fabulous start.
2. “She Wolf” by Shakira: If you’re looking to unleash your inner beast, look no further than Shakira’s howling werewolf tale.
3. “Howlin’ for You” by The Black Keys: Let your inner wolf start howling. A little bit rock and a little bit Halloween, this fun song is just the right amount of scary. And really, if you’re going to play one band that has Halloween-appropriate titles stocked on their song list, it’s got to The Black Keys. Um, hello, “Dead and Gone,” “Ten Cent Pistol,” “Sinister Kid,” “Psychotic Girl…” just to name a few.
4. “Howl” by Florence + the Machine: Let loose the werewolves and enjoy this more chill, indie version of a Halloween song that will still get you in the mood to hunt down some candy.
5. “I’m Your Boogie Man” by KC & the Sunshine Band: Kind of cheesy, but the jazz trumpet is just too much fun to pass up. For a party that is more fun than freaky, this is the perfect track.
6. “Spooks” by Louis Armstrong: Cast a musical spell with this catchy tune that will have even the most reluctant guests and goblins tapping their toes.
7. “Thriller” by Michael Jackson: No Halloween playlist would be complete without a zombie-filled music video and an irresistible groove; you can’t go wrong with “Thriller.”
8. “Alive (Nightmare)” by Kid Cudi: With lyrics about turning into a “lone wolf” every night and an eerie melody by Ratatat, this hip-hop track will be sure to set the right mood for any Halloween party.
9. “Red Right Hand” by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: We don’t think all Halloween songs need to be dark and deathly — but this one is and we like it that way.
10. “Ghost” by Bombay Bicycle Club: Perfect for the hipster Halloween, this chill song keeps things spooky with a constant vibrato and lyrics about a haunting.
11. “Highway to Hell” by AC/DC: No, it’s not totally Halloween, but it’s such a hot track it’s sure to have all your party guests singing and dancing along.
13. “Buried Alive” by Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Punk meets hip-hop as this song digs into many people’s biggest fear: getting buried alive.
14. “Strange Love” by Karen O: If you love the Yeah Yeah Yeahs but “Buried Alive” is a little too hard for your party attendees, keep it light and sweet with this song the lead singer wrote for one of our favorite Halloween movies, Frankenweenie.
15. “I Put a Spell On You” by Nina Simone: Cast your magic potion and stir up some Halloween love with this haunting jazz classic.
16. “True Blood” by Justin Timberlake: Top off your sinister soiree with this moody-but-addicting dance number that will have all the vampires in the room licking their lips.
What Halloween classic did we miss? Share your favorite spooky songs in the comments below!