When you think of olive oil, dessert is not likely to be the first course that comes to mind. But as these 12 recipes prove, it’s a category that deserves some consideration. Whether in a cake, cookie, or even a gelato, the right olive oil can make for a divine dessert. And stay tuned tomorrow, we’ll be sharing an olive oil sweet treat of our own!
1. Almond Olive Oil Cake: The delicate almond flavor is the perfect contrast with this dense cake. Of course, the brown butter glaze doesn’t hurt either. (via Lottie + Doof)
2. Olive Oil Gelato: We know what you’re thinking olive oil ice cream? But trust us, this flavor is so, so good. If you’re skeptical, start out by making it with a lemon flavored oil. (via Food 52)
3. Algerian Lemon and Olive Oil Cookies: Yes, these look kind of like bagels, but we promise they are cookies. They’re perfect when served with a cup of tea. (via Great British Chefs)
4. Herbed Olive Oil Pie Crust: These mini galettes look delicious, and we can only imagine how well the rosemary and olive oil goes with the fruit. (via My Fair Baking)
5. Grapefruit Olive Oil Cake: Olive oil and citrus are the perfect combination, and this beautiful bundt cake with a grapefruit glaze is no exception. (via The Yellow House)
6. Long Pepper and Red Fruits and Olive Oil Cookies: We’re intrigued by this recipe with long pepper. Time to hunt some down to try out these cookies. (via Juls’ Kitchen)
7. 6-Minute Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Custard: Part of their genius recipe series, this custard from Food 52 is going to be one of our new go-tos. It’s the perfect recipe for our new Vitamix! (via Food 52)
8. Olive Oil Cookies with Rosemary & Red Wine: Yes, this recipe had us at “red wine.” We’re excited to try these three flavors together for a savory and sweet dessert. (via Tokyo Terrace)
9. Chocolate, Olive Oil, and Sea Salt Cupcakes: You knew chocolate and sea salt went together, but what about adding olive oil to the mix? Try it. You will not be disappointed. (via Raspberri Cupcakes)
10. Orange, Cardamom, Spiced Honey’d Fit Olive Oil Tea Cake: Phew! That recipe name is a mouthful. We’d definitely rather be enjoying that delicious looking cake instead of rattling off its name. (via Will Cook for Friends)
11. Lemon Yogurt Cake: We imagine that this would be the perfect snack to go along with afternoon tea. (via Babble)
12. Chocolate Mousee with Olive Oil and Sea Salt: Okay this one might be more chocolate than olive oil, but it still has 1/4 cup of olive oil, so we’re counting it. Also, we love chocolate mousse. (via TheKitchn)
Which of these delicious desserts will you be trying first? Tell us in the comments!