You know how they say there’s a surprise in every cereal box? For adults, it’s not the toy; it’s the insane amount of sugar in there. Seriously, this isn’t breakfast, it’s dessert! And while you may try to stay away from these overly sweetened cereals, we know it’s tough. (You’re just too cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs!) Not to worry. Making cereal at home is actually pretty easy, and here are a dozen ways to get started.
2. Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Cereal: Yes, we did just condemn dessert-like breakfasts. But these cookies are made with oatmeal, whole-wheat flour and a lot less sugar. So yes, we’re doing cookies for breakfast. (via Half Baked Harvest)
4. Homemade Corn Flakes: Corn flakes don’t seem too unhealthy to the average person, but if you try to avoid all things processed, you may want to check out this recipe. Who knew you could make flaked cereal at home? (via Fashion Edible)
5. Homemade Lucky Charms: Forget gold; we’d be content with finding this recipe at the end of our rainbow. The best part of it is you get to choose what shape to make your marshmallows into! (via Cupcake Project)
6. Easy Granola: In case you haven’t noticed, tons of folks love to eat granola and milk for breakfast. But a lot of the time, it’s over sweetened with a ton of sugar. The quick solution? Make it yourself. (via Simple Comfort Food)
7. Gluten-Free Apple Jacks: They may not have the green and orange colors that you know and love, but these homemade Apple Jacks sure pack in a whole lotta flavor. Oh, and they’re gluten-free. (via Gluten Free on a Shoestring)
8. Vanilla Almond Puffs: Puffed cereal is the best because you get that satisfying crunch with each bite. These vanilla almond puffs have such an elegant taste, they’ll have you feeling like a breakfast princess. (via Running to the Kitchen)
11. Cinnamon Puffed Rice Cereal: We’re not sure if these snap, crackle and pop, but they are just as (if not more) delicious. It’s that cinnamon flavor that’ll get you hooked. (via Nutrition Stripped)
Which homemade cereal will you be trying out for breakfast? Tell us in the comments below!