In the culinary world, there are some combinations that are widely accepted as tasting better when they’re together. Case in point — tomato and basil, bagels and cream cheese and of course, chocolate and peanut butter. Whether you’re looking for something vegan, a treat that’s quick to make or a dessert that’s completely show-stopping, here are the best chocolate and peanut butter recipes on the planet.
1. Chocolate Peanut Butter: This one’s for all the purists out there. Composed of just two ingredients, this tasty spread can be enjoyed on waffles, ice cream or just straight out of the jar with a big spoon. (via Across the Kitchen Table)
2. Chocolate Peanut Butter Loft Cookie Stacks: The dough for these cookies has to sit overnight, but the results are well worth the wait. If stacks aren’t your thing, just dollop frosting onto individual cookies for larger parties or spread it between two cookies to make yummy sandwiches. (via Bakeaholic Mama)
3. Ultimate Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake: This cake lives up to its name. The chocolate layers are moist, the peanut butter frosting is rich and the chocolate-peanut butter glaze is positively sinful. (via Pixelated Crumb)
4. Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Apple Bites: Apples are a classic flavor that go well with both peanut butter and chocolate, and since fruit is involved, there’s clearly no limit to how many you can munch on. (via The Comfort of Cooking)
5. Chocolate Peanut Butter Sweet Rolls: Have these rolls for dessert, or for breakfast if you’re really feeling indulgent. Try to resist the urge to stick your fingers straight in the peanut butter cream cheese frosting! (via Bakerita)
6. Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Cupcakes: Like apples, pretzels are another classic taste to pair with both chocolate and peanut butter. The combination of sweet and salty will make your taste buds happy, and even though these cupcakes are fairly straightforward to make, they look fancy enough to serve at big parties. (via Food52)
7. Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes With Peanut Butter Syrup: Who says you can’t have chocolate and peanut butter in the morning? The banana makes these pancakes light and fluffy, so you’re definitely going to want to go back for another stack. (via Jane in the Kitchen)
9. Chocolate Peanut Butter Homemade Ice Cream: Instead of being restrained to just a pint of Ben + Jerry’s, why not make as much ice cream as you want? This recipe includes great chunks of peanut butter rolled into the ice cream. (via Ya a la Venta)
10. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Parfaits: Easy to assemble, these desserts can be made a day early if you’re going to be pressed for time, and you can always use ready-made cookies and instant pudding if you’re really in a rush. (via Fabtastic Eats)
11. Peanut Butter Speculoos S’mores Skinnier Hot Cocoa: Reach for a mug on those rainy days when you just want to snuggle with a blanket and good book. It’s delicious without being too heavy, and if you don’t have Speculoos on hand, graham crackers or shortbread cookies work great as a substitute. (via Steph’s Bite by Bite)
14. Chocolate-Peanut Butter Fun Cake: The suggested two-inch square serving size for this recipe is more than enough, since each bite packs an enormous amount of rich and creamy flavor. (via Bon Appetit)
15. Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Banana Bites: Who says peanut butter and chocolate are too heavy to have during the hot summer months? These frozen treats are sure to help you cool down while still enjoying your favorite flavors. (via Skinny Mom)
16. Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Smoothie: These smoothies make a great mid-afternoon pick-me-up, and you can always throw in some whey powder to up the protein level and make it a filling breakfast drink. (via A Finn in the Kitchen)
17. Peanut Butter Fudge Pie With a Pretzel Crust: Make sure you have friends around to share this dessert with once it’s done, or else you just might end up eating the whole thing yourself. Because the crust is mostly pretzel, the recipe can easily be made gluten-free by using almond flour instead of regular flour. (via Stay at Home Chef)
18. No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars: These bars are so simple to make, you probably have all the ingredients on hand already. And there’s no oven involved to heat up the kitchen, making these a great option on summer days. (via Bake or Break)
21. Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Jam Bars: The layer of jam makes these bars taste fresh and complements the peanut butter layer wonderfully. Feel free to use your favorite flavor of jam or jelly. (via Poet in the Pantry)
23. Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake: For those times when you just need a quick fix of chocolate and peanut butter and don’t want to be tempted by a whole tray of brownies. This mug recipe is simple, fast and tastes homemade. (via Yammie’s Noshery).
25. Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillows: These treats wrapped in puff pastry are especially delicious right out of the oven, and are a great snack option to serve when you’ve got friends over. (via Joy the Baker)
What’s your favorite way to combine chocolate and peanut butter? Let us know in the comments below!