Packing your new mom survival kit can be a daunting task. And if you’re one of those last-minute people, it’s easy to forget the essentials that will get you (and your baby) through your overnight stay. No matter where you’ve decided to have your baby, or when that little guy or gal decides to come, we’ve handpicked a few must-have items to help make your hospital stay a little more comfortable. Plan ahead and pack your bag, so you can focus on welcoming your new little bundle of joy.
1. Bamboobies Nursing Pads and Nipple Balm ($35): They don’t take up much space and really come in handy when your milk starts-a-flowing. Made of ultra soft bamboo rayon and organic cotton velour, these unique nursing pads don’t show through or leak. Boobease nipple balm is made of 100 percent organic oils and healing herbs, keeping things soft and healthy while you breastfeed.
2. LaborofLoveBags Pre-Packed Hospital Bag ($55): Custom made for moms, this bag fits all of your hospital essentials and comes equipped with those much-needed necessities like deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, and more.
3. Baby Be Mine Labor Socks ($10): With all sorts of new sensations running on high octane, one common labor complaint is cold feet. Cozy socks are essential and tend to be the one thing mamas-to-be wish they had in their bag.
4. yeSweetheart Receiving Blanket ($12): Made at slightly larger dimensions than the average blanket, this cotton flannel receiver will last for months after your little one arrives. Choose from an array of beautiful, custom designs like cacti and succulents or peach floral to welcome your baby in style and comfort.
5. Assortment of Boppy Gifts (price varies): Not only is this a perfect baby shower gift, but it’s a must-have for added breastfeeding comfort. Equipped with an extra hat, bib, and burp cloth, you won’t be left empty-handed if your hospital stay extends longer than expected.
6. Kate Spade Cosmetics Case ($69) With your new baby in hand, it’s easy to forget that hot mama needs a little lovin’ too. After a long, hard labor, breathe new life into your face while taking those first post-birth selfies, and spoil yourself with a new playful makeup bag. Just don’t forget the makeup.
7. silkandmore Ivory Eyelet Buttoned Hospital Gown ($40): Skip the hospital gown and pack your own gorgeous delivery kaftan or ankle length maternity robe. This Etsy seller offers options like adding liner or buttons on the back for easy hospital maneuvering. Oh, and don’t forget to order a matching robe for your first child and a headband for baby.
8. jennifernoeldesigns Custom Infant Take Home Layette Set ($40): Available in your choice of colors and words, this charming little number has photo-op written all over it. Made of 100 percent cotton, the set includes a layette gown, itty bitty beanie, and a pair of super soft cotton blend leg warmers.
9. Bliss Sinkside Travel Pack ($28): Feel fresh and ready to go with this blissful mini travel set. It’s easy to pack and comes with all of your shower essentials bundled in its own little waterproof tote. Includes a fabulous foaming face wash, lemon and sage soapy suds, body butter, shampoo, and conditioner.
10. SleepSweetDreams Mommy Daddy Couples Pillowcases ($25): Hospital pillows aren’t exactly known for their 5-star quality, so if you want a happy head you’ll have to bring your own. Prep yourself with welcoming parents-to-be pillowcases that add an extra bit of home to your hospital room.
11. The Honest Company Diaper Pack ($14): Made of 100 percent eco-friendly plant-based materials and no chemicals, these diapers won’t harm your baby’s new, tender skin. The Honest Company offers a plethora of cute colors and patterns that change with the seasons. And for less than $20 a week, bundle up and get a monthly supply of diapers and wipes delivered straight to your door.
12. DOSS SoundBox Bluetooth Wireless Speaker ($90): Seamlessly stream your birthing music from anywhere. With up to 12 hours of power, this portable speaker hooks up to phones, computers, tablets, iPods, or any other Bluetooth device.
13. Pretty Pushers Postpartum Disposable Underwear ($32 for two): Any mom will tell you that postpartum recovery is no place for cute undies, but we disagree! With your body already feeling less than comfortable and trying to get itself back in order, stock up on these colorful, elastic-free undies. They’re even equipped with secret pouches for some heavenly ice packs.
14. Hatch The Onesie ($258): Leave the hospital in style and comfort with this slip-on onesie designed for your bump and beyond. Made from peony cotton, a nice alternative to its silk counterparts, this jumpsuit is perfect for those cooler transition months.
15. aden + anais Organic Swaddle ($38 for two): From wrapping your new bundle to covering up while nursing, the versatility of a swaddle blanket is amazing. It also doubles as a car window cover to block the sun from baby.
16. Poweradd Portable Charger ($50): To ensure you can make those first phone calls and pepper every social platform with some oh-so adorable newborn pics, pack a pint-sized portable charger. With pastel pink or baby blue styles, this gizmo should definitely be on standby for the big day.
17. The Push Pack ($49): If you are anything like the rest of the procrastinating world, then this is the perfect carry-along. Packed with everything from maxi-pads to playing cards, it’s a great baby shower gift for every new mom.
18. Destination Maternity Nursing Sleep Shirt ($27): This loose-fitting nursing and sleep shirt will be your new best friend after baby’s born. Plus the “Sundays are for Snuggling” graphic is more than appropriate.
19. Kids N’ Such Floral Nursing Cover ($40): The hospital will have things that you need for the first few hours with your bundle of joy, but in case you’re more into using your own stuff, here’s a floral option.
20. Andrea Alchemy Floral Face Mist ($12): Before, during, and after giving birth, you may turn into a beautiful, sweaty mess. You’re performing literally the hardest job, and may not be able to shower as quickly as you’d like to after the act. Pack this face mist and give yourself a spritz when you’re feeling the need to moisturize and relax after all that hard work.
Always searching for the perfect give to give family, friends, and loved ones? Follow us on Pinterest for more thoughtful gift ideas.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.