5 Steps for Detoxing After Overdoing It at a Summer Bash
From boat bachelorette parties to car trunk beach BBQs, there’s definitely no shortage of fun events going on during the summer months. But if you’re anything like us, self-control can be seriously hard to summon around delish finger foods and cocktails, which can leave you feeling less than great the next morning. Since we all have those please-just-let-me-feel-normal-again days, we reached out to Megan Roosevelt, a dietician and the founder of Healthy Grocery Girl, for help. Read on for her five go-to detox tips, which are pretty much perfect for the days you’ve gone overboard with the festivities.
1. Eat REAL food. We totally get waking up and feeling stuffed after an evening spent eating lots of tasty treats, but NEVER skip a meal to save on calories. Megan says, “After a day of overeating, the best thing you can do is to start the day with a healthy balanced breakfast. Try one of my go-to recipes, like a fruit and veggie smoothie made with plant-based protein or half of an avocado on sprouted whole-grain toast.” Even more, she says to keep your nourishment up throughout the rest of the day. “Continue to eat real foods [non-packaged] and mostly plants throughout the day. Go for nuts, seeds, beans, whole-grains, fruits and veggies.” She tells us that plant-based foods have the nutritional properties that will help your body bounce back to feeling its best.
2. Support your liver. So you drank a bit too much last night? No worries, girl — it happens. But instead of beating yourself up for drinking one too many, Megan advises getting right back on track by reaching for foods that’ll support your liver. “A detoxifying dandelion root tea, cabbage, broccoli, lemons, grapefruit, garlic, onions, ginger, spinach, kale and beets will all do the trick.” If you have an upset stomach, Megan swears by ginger, which can help cure nausea. She also says that sipping peppermint tea can help settle your tummy, while bananas are easy to digest and packed full of nutrients that’ll help your heart and digestive system.
3. Reach for your water bottle. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Megan tells us that water will not only help flush toxins away, but it will also keep your system regulated. In line with all of the other advice we’ve heard about drinking water this summer, Megan says she makes it a point to drink half her body weight in ounces each day. Follow this guideline without overdoing it, and you’ll be back on your way to feeling great. Coconut water is also a good choice, as it has heaps of natural electrolytes to help your bod replenish and repair ASAP.
4. Sweat it out. Just like drinking tons of water, Megan reminds us that sweating is another way to flush out toxins. If you don’t feel up to your usual high-intensity HIIT workout or intense circuit sweat sesh, try a jog or a brisk walk to help improve blood circulation AND improve digestion. Megan says, “Exercise will help you feel strong, happy and keep a positive attitude towards a healthy lifestyle. Yay, endorphins!”
5. Get a good night’s sleep. Your body stays super busy while you sleep, working hard to rest and repair. Megan notes that quality sleep is completely crucial for its ability to balance ghrelin, the hunger hormone, and leptin, the satiety hormone. “Skipping sleep can actually lead you to feel hungrier throughout the day and make it harder to make good choices when it comes to what you’re eating,” she warns. “To get better sleep, try to unplug from all electronics 30 minutes before you get in bed. Make your room a cool, dark place and try using lavender essential oil in a diffuser on your nightstand. Lavender helps promote relaxation, which can help you doze right off into a restful night’s sleep. Tomorrow is a new day.”
What do you do to feel better after a day of overindulgence? Tweet us your best tips @BritandCo!
(Photo via Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.