9 Hacks to Help You Wear Heels All Day Long
Ladies, we’ve all been there. You’ve been standing in your heels for mere minutes and your feet are already killing you (really, the walk from the train to your work never seemed that long before!). But that doesn’t have to be the case. Nope, we’re not here to tell you to resign yourself to commuter-friendly flats seven days a week (although there are some really cute options out there). There are, in fact, some easy ways for your feet to love your stash of heels as much as you do. Scroll below to learn nine hacks that can make wearing your sky-high steppers all day long so much more doable.
1. Tape Your Toes: No, really. You totally read that right. Taping your third and fourth toes together takes the pressure off the balls of your feet. The more you know, peeps. (via PureWow)
2. Leather Is Best: This isn’t necessarily a hack, but it’s a great tip. Leather forms to the shape of your foot, so wearing it is basically the closest thing to customizable shoes as you’re going to get. It’ll keep your feet feeling great all day long. (via Your Queen)
3. Stretch Them Out: But when they *aren’t* leather, this trick is a must-try. If your heels are a tad tight, stretch them out using ice. Simply fill a plastic bag with water, stick them in your shoes and pop them in the freezer. (via Better Remade)
4. Blow Dry Them: Oops! You bought your shoes a bit too small, and that’s why you can’t stand wearing them for a full day at work. Blow drying them is another trick to slightly stretch them out to the point where they’re comfortably broken in. (via Lisa Pullano)
5. Band-Aid Friction Block ($5): This Band-Aid product is a total game changer. Rub it on the sensitive spots of your foot before you put your shoes on to prevent blisters. Trust us, it’s the best $5 you’ll ever spend.
6. Sandpaper the Soles: Sometimes, heels are nearly unwearable because they’re slipping and sliding all over the place. Scuff up the bottom of your shoes with sand paper ($3) to ensure you won’t be sliding all over the place. (via Real Simple)
7. Foot Petals ($7): Let’s face it: Standing on your tip toes for hours upon hours is just not natural. Add a little padding to the balls of your feet to create a more comfortable stance.
8. Strap ‘Em In: Not only did you just upgrade your look, but you also just provided a lot of extra comfort. Strapping your feet in makes heels much more bearable, especially as you dart from place to place. (via Brit + Co)
9. Comfortable Shoes ($279): Lastly, buy shoes that are *actually* comfortable in the first place! Taryn Rose shoes feature an altered foot bed so that you can wear them without pain. And guess what? Taryn Rose herself will be at Re:Make this year talking about her awesome designs. Request a ticket here!
Do you have any tips and tricks for wearing heels all day? Chat with us in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.