10 Ways to Bring the Outdoors Inside This Winter
If the chilly winter weather has you trapped inside and spending hours scrolling through Instagram nature pics, it’s time to infuse some life into your home. There’s no easier or more affordable way to perk up your space than by bringing some greenery inside. From ways to DIY your own indoor garden to nature-inspired home decor, these 10 essentials will definitely help keep the winter blues away. We promise.
1. Noted Basil-O-Holic Foodie Garden Kit ($20): Between endless pasta recipes and fresh pesto, you can never get enough basil. With this basil garden kit you won’t have to worry about running out. It’ll become your very own basil factory — right in your kitchen!
2. Modern Sprout Garden Jar ($20): If you don’t need an entire indoor garden but want to have some fresh herbs on hand for a dish or two, this garden jar is the perfect solution. When you’re done growing plants or herbs out of it, turn in into a cute vase to bump up your hipster street cred.
3. Monorail Studio Let’s Climb A Mountain Together Print ($25): If you don’t have a green thumb but are still craving some nature in your life, this mountain print is perfect for you. It’s got all the good vibes of the impressive outdoors with none of the maintenance that plants require.
4. Jessica Pezalla’s Paper Flowers Online Class ($19): While fresh flowers really light up a space, the unfortunate fact is that they eventually die. If you’re looking for more of a long-term investment in your floral decor, this online class teaches you all the essential skills required for crafting paper flowers, which are equally gorgeous in their own right.
5. Brit + Co Sand Art Terrarium Kit ($29): If you didn’t think terrariums could get any cooler, now you know you were wrong. This killer kit combines the glory of a terrarium with the radness of sand art for an out-of-this-world approach to natural home decor.
6. Brit + Co 3D Printed Rose ($15): While these beauties were developed for Valentine’s Day, they’re actually a super cool way to add some floral vibes to your life way past February 14. Keep them in a vase alongside the real deal or hang one on a wall for some alternative art.
7. Modern Sprout Kraft Seed Starter Kits ($17): These pretty little seed kits are an all-inclusive way to start your very own in-home garden. If you don’t have space for the real thing or you’re still dealing with some tough winter conditions, this kit is the solution that will give you fresh herbs all year round.
8. Paper to Petal by Rebecca Thuss and Patrick Farrell ($25): This book’s 75 different paper flower designs will keep you occupied all winter long. Before you know it, spring will be here and you can go out and pick the real deal. But you might not want to after discovering the glory of paper flowers.
9. Juicykits Farm-Fresh Succulent and Pot ($24): Succulents forever! These little desert plants are low maintenance and high in style, especially this one — check out those white-striped leaves!
10. Enchanted Forest Coloring Book by Johanna Basford ($16): Have a coloring party with your favorite gal pals and before you know it your walls will be covered in gorgeous hand-colored nature scenes.
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.