10 Ways to Bring the Outdoors Inside This Winter
If the chilly winter weather has you trapped inside and spending hours scrolling through Instagram nature pics, it’s time to infuse some life into your home. There’s no easier or more affordable way to perk up your space than by bringing some greenery inside. From ways to DIY your own indoor garden to nature-inspired home decor, these 10 essentials will definitely help keep the winter blues away. We promise.
1. Noted Basil-O-Holic Foodie Garden Kit ($20): Between endless pasta recipes and fresh pesto, you can never get enough basil. With this basil garden kit you won’t have to worry about running out. It’ll become your very own basil factory — right in your kitchen!
2. Modern Sprout Garden Jar ($20): If you don’t need an entire indoor garden but want to have some fresh herbs on hand for a dish or two, this garden jar is the perfect solution. When you’re done growing plants or herbs out of it, turn in into a cute vase to bump up your hipster street cred.
3. Monorail Studio Let’s Climb A Mountain Together Print ($25): If you don’t have a green thumb but are still craving some nature in your life, this mountain print is perfect for you. It’s got all the good vibes of the impressive outdoors with none of the maintenance that plants require.
4. Jessica Pezalla’s Paper Flowers Online Class ($19): While fresh flowers really light up a space, the unfortunate fact is that they eventually die. If you’re looking for more of a long-term investment in your floral decor, this online class teaches you all the essential skills required for crafting paper flowers, which are equally gorgeous in their own right.
5. Brit + Co Sand Art Terrarium Kit ($29): If you didn’t think terrariums could get any cooler, now you know you were wrong. This killer kit combines the glory of a terrarium with the radness of sand art for an out-of-this-world approach to natural home decor.
6. Brit + Co 3D Printed Rose ($15): While these beauties were developed for Valentine’s Day, they’re actually a super cool way to add some floral vibes to your life way past February 14. Keep them in a vase alongside the real deal or hang one on a wall for some alternative art.
7. Modern Sprout Kraft Seed Starter Kits ($17): These pretty little seed kits are an all-inclusive way to start your very own in-home garden. If you don’t have space for the real thing or you’re still dealing with some tough winter conditions, this kit is the solution that will give you fresh herbs all year round.
8. Paper to Petal by Rebecca Thuss and Patrick Farrell ($25): This book’s 75 different paper flower designs will keep you occupied all winter long. Before you know it, spring will be here and you can go out and pick the real deal. But you might not want to after discovering the glory of paper flowers.
9. Juicykits Farm-Fresh Succulent and Pot ($24): Succulents forever! These little desert plants are low maintenance and high in style, especially this one — check out those white-striped leaves!
10. Enchanted Forest Coloring Book by Johanna Basford ($16): Have a coloring party with your favorite gal pals and before you know it your walls will be covered in gorgeous hand-colored nature scenes.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.