Up Your Glamping Game With Iron Skillet Campfire Peach Cobbler
Today we’ve got another dessert that puts sweet summer fruit to good use. For this grilled cobbler recipe we’re using our most beloved multi-purpose cookware: the cast-iron skillet. There are infinite recipes one can whip up using an old-sch00l cast-iron pan, and this recipe proves that even further. This peach cobbler with a buttermilk biscuit topping grills up beautifully. (Who can say no to a flaky, buttery crust layered on top of a warm cinnamon-scented fruit filling? Not us.) This sweet treat is great for hot summer days spent in the backyard or on a camping trip. The cast iron skillet can be placed directly on a gas or charcoal grill, making this recipe outdoor-friendly. Or, if you’re not a particularly outdoorsy person, no problem. You don’t need a grill or an open fire to bake up this decadent summer treat — a traditional home oven can be used instead!
For the fruit layer:
— 6 ripe but firm peaches, pitted and sliced
— 2/3 cup brown sugar
— 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
— 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
— 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the biscuit topping:
— 1 cup all-purpose flour
— 1/3 cup brown sugar
— 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
— 1/4 teaspoon salt
— 1/2 cup cold buttermilk
— 1 stick of chilled butter (8 Tablespoons), cubed
1. Preheat the center of your grill to medium-high heat (400 degrees Fahrenheit). Toss the sliced peaches, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and vanilla extract together and set aside.
2: In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together.
3. Add in the buttermilk and cubed butter. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the wet ingredients until the biscuit dough forms. Be sure not to overwork the mixture.
4. Transfer the peaches (with all of their juices) to a lightly greased nine-inch cast-iron skillet and divide the biscuit dough into eight equal rounds. Carefully dollop the rounds over the peach layer (I like to use an ice cream scoop for this step).
5. Uncover the lid and carefully place the skillet over the center grates of the grill.
6. Cover the lid and allow the cobbler to cook for 20-25 minutes or until the biscuit topping is deeply golden and the peaches are bubbly. Keep an eye on the grill thermometer (usually found on the lid) and make sure the temp remains at 400 degrees the entire time; adjust the dials as needed. Once the cobbler is cooked through, very carefully remove the pan using a heavy duty oven mitt and allow the cobbler to cool for about 20 minutes before serving. (I like to keep the oven mitt or kitchen towel draped over the handle of the skillet to remind myself and others that it's still PIPING hot.)
7. Serve up the cobbler on its own or a la mode with a dollop of vanilla ice cream… if you're into that ;)
Sweet summer fruit meets buttery biscuit deliciousness in this epic peach cobbler.
What other types of camping food do you like tomake? For more camping (or glamping) inspo, follow us on Pinterest.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)