16 Lettuce Wrap Lunches for a Clean Slate in the New Year
For many of us, 2016 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2017! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
Now that the holidays are over and we’ve binged on ALL the cookies and cocktails, we are more than ready to get back on track. It’s time to plan for healthy lunches packed with protein wraps and high-fiber eats. Breaking bad habits and getting back on the wagon isn’t always easy, but it certainly doesn’t have to be dreadful. Packing a wholesome lunch that doesn’t rob you of flavor is also imperative. To get you pumped up, we’ve got 16 mouth-watering low-carb lettuce wraps to woo your inner health nut and sate your hunger.
1. Vegan Asian Lettuce Wraps: There is nothing worse than scoffing down a heavy lunch that weighs you down. Stuffed with cabbage, sprouts and crunchy veggies, these tasty lettuce wraps will satisfy your hunger while refueling you for the rest of the day. (via Wholesome Patisserie)
2. Thai Quinoa Meatball Lettuce Wraps: Sure, your co-worker’s meatball sub smells amazing and looks enticing with all of its sauce and stretchy cheese. But we can guarantee that when you bite into these lettuce-wrapped cheatballs made with quinoa and drizzled with a Thai peanut sauce, that meatball sub will look sad in comparison. (via The Simple Veganista)
3. Chicken Satay Lettuce Wraps: Chicken is a great way to refuel halfway through the day, but the usual chicken wrap can get boring pretty fast. These satay lettuce wraps topped with cucumber relish and peanut sauce are a perfect way to up your lunch game while keeping things light. (via Honestly Yum)
4. Slow Cooker Thai Pork Lettuce Wraps: If you’re looking for something that is light on calories but big on flavor, look no further! These colorful lettuce wraps are stuffed to the brim with sweet, savory pork and caramelized pineapples. (via Dishing Out Health)
5. Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps: No matter how hard you work at eating clean, you’re going to crave junky snack foods once in a while. Buffalo chicken is always tough to pass on, but you can still be smart about it and bring the essence of your fave bar food to a light and crisp lettuce wrap. (via Seasons and Suppers)
6. 10-Minute Taco Lettuce Wraps: Turning down tacos is unheard of and, for some of us, #TacoTuesday is an extremely important day of the week. Healthy eating habits shouldn’t get in the way, and they don’t have to with these quick and easy lettuce taco wraps. (via Boulder Locavore)
7. Tempeh Mango Lettuce Wraps: If you’re big on #MeatlessMonday and want a substantial filling for those lettuce cups you’re oh-so-hooked on, we’ve got you covered. This spicy tempeh medley with peppers and mango will do you right. (via Delish Knowledge)
8. Chorizo and Potato Taco Lettuce Wraps: If your love for meat and potatoes is strong, these lettuce wraps will put a huge smile on your face. This one-pan dish is perfect for quick and filling weeknight dinners or a satisfying lunch. (via Smile Sandwich)
9. 20-Minute Korean Beef Lettuce Wraps With Rainbow Veggie Slaw: These hearty and delicious bites are the epitome of a fast and fit meal. Crisp veggies and tender beef are guaranteed to fill your belly and keep you satisfied without the presence of any heavy carbs. (via Wry Toast)
10. Healthy Veggie Avocado Lettuce Cups: These stunning lettuce cups are as bright in flavor as they are in appearance. With fresh ingredients, creamy avocado and crisp veggies, these bad boys will easily become one of your healthy faves. (via Dine and Dish)
11. Sriracha Chicken Salad Collard Wraps: Lettuce isn’t the only leafy veg that makes for a scrumptious wrap. Collard greens work swimmingly, and if you can’t get enough hot sauce in your life, these punchy Sriracha chicken salad wraps have your name written all over them. (via Domesticate Me)
12. Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps: Filled with crunchy cashew greatness, these lettuce cups couldn’t be denied by even the biggest carb fiends out there. They make for a satisfying lunch or a light dinner, and they’re a great appetizer option too. (via As Easy As Apple Pie)
13. Asian Mushroom Lettuce Wraps: These tantalizing garlic and ginger mushroom lettuce wraps are full of satisfaction and are addicting AF. They’re also extremely flexible, so you can replace the mushrooms with tofu or any other filling protein to switch it up once in a while. (via Natural Girl Modern World)
14. Ginger Lemongrass Pork Lettuce Wraps: Ginger and lemongrass bring a refreshing mix of spice and color to these vibrant and tasty lettuce wraps. But, one small warning — your co-workers are going to have serious lunch envy. Be ready to be gawked at while you eat! (via Snixy Kitchen)
15. BLT Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps: Few things are as satisfying as biting into a cool and crisp BLT chicken salad. The combination of creaminess and saltiness is a dream. This recipe keeps things light and guilt-free by stuffing that chicken salad into leafy lettuce cups. (via Spice Is in My DNA)
16. Pork Lettuce Cups: When you’re trying to eat better, it can seem tough to find a meal that is quick, light, refreshing AND filling all while being absolutely delicious. But we’ve got good news — these lettuce cups deliver on all of the above. (via Belly Full)
If you’re looking for more healthy + delish meal inspo, follow us on Pinterest.
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!