Morning Buzz: Brady Bunch Matriarch Florence Henderson Has Died + More
Some sad news about a Hollywood icon leads this morning’s top news stories. Check that and more out below.
1. Some people, like Florence Henderson, just seem timeless, so it’s a shock this morning to hear that she has passed away at the age of 82 from heart failure, according to the New York Times. “She was quite active until she started not feeling well several days ago,” Florence’s publicist David Brokaw said. “It was felt that she would just bounce back from it.” Sending our thoughts to her family.
Dear @GilmoreGirls fans,
We're back tomorrow because of you, and I couldn't be more thankful. Hope you enjoy.
— Lauren Graham (@thelaurengraham) November 24, 2016
2. IT’S HERE. THE GILMORE GIRLS IS FINALLY HERE. This is a spoiler-free zone, but know going into it that ~critics~ are largely on board, calling the feel-good binge a comforting continuation of the original show — not a cheap rehash. HAPPY GILMORE WEEKEND.
3. Taylor Swift and her squad did a beachside #MannequinChallenge on Thanksgiving, because of course they did. Looks cold.
4. So uh, Green Party presidential nominee Jill Stein has raised $5 million for an election vote recount in three states? In a recent New York Magazine story, cybersecurity experts said the results in three states seemed suspicious and that Hillary Clinton’s campaign should contest the results there. Hillary’s campaign didn’t show much interest in doing so, and since you need a candidate on the ballot to do it, Jill Stein raised the money. She first set a goal to raise $2.5 million, and is now at nearly $5 million. Her website states that “we cannot guarantee a recount will happen in any of these states we are targeting. We can only pledge we will demand recounts in those states.” What a time to be alive. (Photo via Win McNamee/Getty)
TONY BENNETT ALMOST FELL OFF THE FLOAT BUT MISS PIGGY CAUGHT HIM pic.twitter.com/CVItoV99Rs
— Lindsay Whiteman (@LindzWhiteman) November 24, 2016
5. Miss Piggy was a HERO in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. TBH, Miss Piggy is a hero literally always, but yesterday, Tony Bennett slipped and stumbled a little bit on the float the two of them were sharing, and she caught him before he fell. Get this woman a Presidential Medal!
6. Quote of the day: “I love being challenged to find a more creative and compassion response to every situation that arises…I love being humbled, and schooled.” Eat, Pray, Love author Elizabeth Gilbert shares a lovely list of things she is thankful for in a “rough” year.
What are you most thankful for this year? Let us know over @BritandCo.
(Featured photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.