Get back into the Monday groove with a pretty-in-pink wedding, an Olympics farewell and more of today’s top news items below.
1. K, that dress. Comedian and Talking Dead host Chris Hardwick and actress Lydia Hearst tied the knot on Saturday, and from what we’ve seen and heard, it sounded appropriately geeky for these two science fiction nerds. Chris told People that the most important wedding details for him were “traditional things like zombies, Jawas, astromech droids, Blue Star Donuts and a TARDIS cake,” and apparently even the florist took cues from the couple’s fav comics and sci fi series. Lydia looked AMAZING in her custom Christian Siriano gown, with a delicate bodice and a dipped pink hem. The happy couple are now on their way to Tokyo for their honeymoon. Congrats!
2. If the Olympics had to end, at least we got one more night with the shirtless oiled-up Tonga flag bearer. Pita Taufatofua made one last appearance for the fans at last night’s closing ceremonies. Sniff. We hardly knew you, Tonga flag bearer. (Photo via Ezra Shaw/Getty)
3. And now that the games are wrapped in Rio, the Olympic flag was handed over to Tokyo for the 2020 games, and they accepted with a super dorky and amazing tribute to Super Mario Bros. So that just happened! Japan’s prime minister Shinzo Abe appeared out of a green Mario Bros. pipe wearing a Mario hat. Please let this be an indication of what those games will be like!
4. Amy Schumer’s snap of her bf Ben asleep cuddled up to her is too adorbs for words. At least she tempered the so-cute-it’s-grossness of the pic with a caption that said “Super interested in hearing my new material.” Way too relatable.
5. Miranda Lambert’s proposal from a six-year-old fan will give you all the feels. Just before hitting the stage in New Jersey this weekend, the country singer got a diamond — but not from her boyfriend Anderson East! A six-year-old fan named Sebastian got down on one knee at her fan meet and greet before the show. “I said YES! But he has to wait 25 years. This sweet boy Sebastian is a little gentleman,” she wrote on the pic. That kid’s life has just been made.
6. Quote of the day: “I had the time of my life making all of this. Thank you all. Especially those of you who never let me forget I had to finish. Which is basically every one of y’all. Haha. Love you.” Frank Ocean sees you, world, for anticipating this album for basically ever. He shared this thank you with his fans after new album Blonde was released on Saturday.
What’s your #mondaymotivation today? Let us know over @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via @hardwick)