1. Leonardo DiCaprio literally broke the Internet last night. Our boy FINALLY took home the Oscar last night for Best Actor after six nominations, and the entire Twitterverse broke up and practically devoured itself. Sorry, Kim KW, but Leo’s Oscar winning moment was actually the moment that broke the Internet, with 440,000 tweets per minute — beating the record set by Ellen’s Oscar selfie from 2014. Oh yeah, and this absolutely precious video of The Revenant actor waiting for his Oscar to get engraved at the Governor’s Ball afterwards is a must-see. He very casually leans over the counter as he admires the etcher’s work and asks, “Do you do this every year? I wouldn’t know.” His smile is akin to a kid getting a puppy at Christmas. “I have to take care of it? I have to maintain it? What does that mean?” he asks, taking back his statuette. “Thank you!” (h/t The Hollywood Reporter )
2. Louis C.K. might have just made himself the next Oscar host contender. Intentionally or not, comedian Louis C.K. took the stage to present Best Documentary Short and did what he did best — made the audience roar with laughter. Basically, in his minute and a half monologue, he’s proven he’s got the chops. Louis C.K., host of the 89th Academy Awards? Yeah, we’d watch that. (h/t Vulture )
3. And the best dad of the year award goes to… Chris Rock. If you tuned in last night, one of the sweetest — yet properly hilarious — moments of the show was when Chris Rock brought out his two daughters’ Girl Scout troop to sell boxes of cookies to Hollywood’s richest celebs.
Yep, this tweet pretty much sums up how awesome that moment is. “Chris Rock just did the impossible and sold $65,000 worth of carbs to a room full of Hollywood actors,” it reads. Can you believe it? According to the Oscars host, the group earned $600 last year and got second place in its Girl Scout cookie sales competition. His daughters’ Girl Scout troop is probably getting a dozen badges for selling $65,243 worth of cookies in a few short minutes. (h/t New York Times ; photo via Kevin Winter/Getty)
4. Stacey Dash’s appearance was the most WTF moment of the Oscars. After delivering an epic takedown of Hollywood’s diversity problem last night, Chris Rock made an interesting move. He invited actress Stacey Dash, who has been making some controversial remarks on Fox News, onstage as the new “director of our minority outreach program” for the Oscars. Crickets. Stacey strolled onstage giggling “like a villain,” as some tweeters put it, and announced, “I cannot wait to help my people out. Happy Black History Month!”
Chrissy Teigen’s face in the moment might have said it all. Look, we understand the point that Chris Rock was making — Hollywood does need to address the diversity issue, but it must be a thorough and thoughtful effort. As for Stacey Dash? We’re not entirely certain she was aware she was getting trolled. And even if she was, she probably noticed it too late. (h/t Jezebel )
5. Kylie Jenner tried to trademark her name and Kylie Minogue said nope. Teenage entrepreneur Kylie Jenner attempted to file a trademark application for her first name, but Australian popstar Kylie Minogue’s peeps are rushing to block it. According to Mashable , the singer claims Kylie Jenner’s trademark would “cause confusion between the two and dilute Minogue’s brand.”
Kylie Minogue, who owns www.kylie.com, has had a career that began 18 years before Kylie Jenner was even born — enough time to grow a whole other legal adult in that age gap. She tweeted to the world saying, “Hello… my name is KYLIE” followed by the hashtag #lightyears. (h/t Mashable )
6. Quote of the Day: “Let us not take this planet for granted. I do not take tonight for granted.” — Leonardo DiCaprio
What morning news has caught YOUR attention? Let us know @BritandCo .
(Featured photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)