Morning Buzz! You’ll Weep As Much As Joe Biden When Obama Surprised Him With This Huge Honor + More
TGIF, y’all! From Biden and Obama’s bromance to some exciting PLL news, check out six of today’s top news items below.
1. As if the Obamas already weren’t making us cry like babies during their final few weeks at the White House, yesterday, Obama surprised Vice President Joe Biden with the Presidential Medal of Freedom — the country’s highest civilian honor — and not only did WE bawl, but Joe could barely hold it together himself. For “your faith in your fellow Americans, for your love of country and a lifetime of service that will endure through the generations,” Obama said, Biden deserved the honor. The two spoke glowingly about each other and their families, hugged and, yes, cried. And so did we.
2. Four people have been charged in Kim Kardashian’s robbery. Though the time that Kim spent away from the media after her October robbery felt like a lifetime, these last few weeks have seen quick developments in the case. After suspects were arrested and some even allegedly confessed, charges including robbery, kidnapping, criminal association and handling stolen goods have been laid against four people, while six more remain in custody awaiting further questioning. (h/t Buzzfeed, photo via E!)
3. PLL may be ending, but one of its stars is getting her own reality show. That’s right — Shay Mitchell will get her own series on Fullscreen’s subscription service, and it’ll be an up-close-and-personal glimpse into her life and this new phase of her career as PLL wraps up. Shades of Shay (omg, LOVE it) is set to premiere sometime early this year. YAAAS.
4. The TV episode starring Joseph Fiennes as Michael Jackson has been pulled after bad backlash. Sky Arts pulled the Urban Myths episode that controversially starred Joseph Fiennes as Michael Jackson after Michael’s daughter Paris said it made her “want to vomit.” Sky Arts says “We set out to take a light-hearted look at reportedly true events and never intended to cause any offence. Joseph Fiennes fully supports our decision.” (Image via Sky Arts)
5. Let these cats sleeping soundly tucked into their beds be your weekend goals. In a Twitter trend we can 10000% get behind, users in Japan are posting pics of their cats all tucked under blankets and surrounded by stuffies, and all we can think is TGIF. (h/t Mashable)
6. Quote of the day: “Explore your passions. Learn who you are. Make mistakes—you are allowed to. Continue to surround yourself with loyal friends who know you, adore you and will fiercely protect you. Those who judge you don’t love you, and their voices shouldn’t hold weight. Rather, it’s your own hearts that matter.” The Bush sisters wrote the most heartfelt letter to Sasha and Malia Obama as they transition out of the White House. Read the whole thing here.
Are you looking forward to seeing what the Obama sisters do post-Presidency? Let us know over @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Olivier Douliery-Pool/Getty)