Google’s Top 10 Trending Beauty Questions of 2018, Answered
As fun as it is to read our favorite beauty sites, sometimes we’re in a rush and need all the answers without all the research. That’s where Google comes in. Each year, beauty lovers all over the world take to the search engine to ask their most pressing questions. In 2018, the top 10 trending searches centered around cosmetics, hair color, and how to incorporate your favorite plants into your regimen. Read on as we answer the year’s burning beauty questions. (Photo via Scott Barbour/ Getty)
1. How to apply magnetic lashes? Each box of magnetic lashes comes with a top and bottom set that sandwich around your actual lashes, bonding together via the magnets attached at the base. The effect? Glamorous fringe with zero stress, glue, or hassle.
2. What is a lash lift? Think of it as a perm for your lashes — only instead of tight coils, you’ll be left with a darker, fuller, curvier flutter as you step out of the salon. The treatment, which consists of wrapping your eyelashes around a silicone pad and slathering them with keratin to set the shape, delivers results that last six to eight weeks. Unlike lash extensions, you don’t have to worry about which eye makeup or cleansers you can apply, as there isn’t any glue that can be loosened by oils. To read a first-hand take on lash lifts, click here. (Photo via Ian Hooton/ Science Photo Library/ Getty)
3. How to remove individual eyelashes? Soak a cotton pad in an oil-based makeup remover or coconut oil and hold it over your closed eye for 30-seconds to loosen the glue. Rinse with warm water and use a spoolie to gently brush out any loosened falsies. (Photo via RunPhoto/ Getty)
4. What hair color looks best on me? A fool-proof way to pick a complementary hair color is to pay special attention to your skin tone. If you have warm undertones, opt for cool-toned hair (think: ashy vanilla chai or icy platinum blonde); if you have cool undertones, pick a warm-toned hue (like honey or chocolate truffle). Once you find a color you like, you can try it on virtually with apps like The Matrix Color Lounge.
5. How to do cat eye? Finding a technique that works for your eye shape is critical in mastering feminine feline flicks. To hone your skills, choose from stencils, pencils, gel pots, rolling applicators, and liquid liners (some with added grip to ensure you won’t lose control of the brush). Find the method and medium that works best for you — this article will help — and know that, like all things in beauty and life, practice makes perfect. (Photo via JANIFEST/ Getty)
6. How to take off makeup without makeup wipes? If you have recently found yourself reaching for a cleansing wipe only to find a dried-out tissue in its place, rest assured, there are plenty of other makeup removers to choose from. For pesky waterproof mascara, try a cleansing balm that will remove every last bit of ink without irritating your eyes. Micellar water is a miracle for sensitive skin; just soak a cotton pad and gently pat face, eye, and lip products from view. For a quick fix, a makeup remover pen is revolutionary for wiping away rogue eyeshadow without messing up the rest of your glam.(Photo via MilanMarkovic/ Getty)
7. How to apply aloe vera? The deeply hydrating properties of the spiky windowsill plant make it perfect for DIY home hair masks (just mix with eggs and apply to hair from roots to ends) and cleansers (combine with almond oil and castile soap). Pro tip: The next time you get a curling iron burn, leave the Neosporin in the cabinet and break open an aloe branch for a soothing salve that will not only help heal the burn but keep it from scarring too. (Photo via MyLoupe/ Getty)
8. How to glue down eyebrows? For those of us that suffer from unruly arches, shaping them is one thing, but keeping them in place is a whole other story. To tame your brows, brush them with a clean spoolie doused in hairspray or hair wax — or, if you’re Olivia Culpo, Elmer’s Glue. (Photo via GMint/ Getty)
9. How to fix cakey makeup? We’ve all been there. You’re getting ready and suddenly the light hits your skin just right and you realize you’ve gone overboard. Don’t panic. The best fix for cakey makeup is an angled sponge followed by a trusty setting spray. Where the sponge will erase harsh foundation lines and pick up wayward eyeshadow fall-out, a setting spray will lock the flawless look in place. (Photo via misuma/ Getty)
10. What concealer to use? If your skin is oily, look for a mattifying formula; if it’s dry, reach for a creamier concealer packed with hydrating ingredients; if you experience redness, sallowness, or dullness, try a green, yellow, or lilac color-corrector to balance things out. (Photo via Fabrice Poincelet/ Getty)
What’s your most pressing beauty question? Tell us @BritandCo!
Whether you want to tap into some holiday nostalgia, or find a fun DIY to do with your kiddos, this simple snow globe craft offers both! Together with Camp by Walmart, we built a customizable crafting journey so you can execute this decor upgrade based on your style preferences and the supplies you have around the house. For this project, you'll need to decide if you want your snow globe to be inside of a mason jar or glass orb, what type of snow you want (hello, glitter!), and what holiday scene should go inside. With 16 possible outcomes, we can't wait to see what you come up with. Check it out by watching the winter wonderland snow globe tutorial now!