39 Mother’s Day Gift Ideas That Go Beyond the Bouquet
Giving your mom flowers for Mother’s Day may not be the most original idea, but since she’s always been proud of anything you make, we bet she’ll love a DIYed floral arrangement. Read on for 39 unique ways to give Mom flowers she’ll love.
1. DIY Tiny Floral Pins: Give mama a colorful non-wilting brooch she can wear for as long as she likes. Because thimbles make the *cutest* mini planters. (via Brit + Co)
2. DIY Fresh Flower Petal Perfume: Whether you choose honeysuckle, rose, lavender, or peony, this homemade fragrance will keep mom smelling sweet all day long. (via Hello Glow)
3. DIY Edible Floral Chocolate Bars: Want to give mom something that’s gorgeous and delicious? White chocolate bars are easy to make and look beautiful when you add edible petals. (via Let’s Mingle)
4. DIY Flower Cupcake Bouquet: What better way to thank mom than with cake?! Custom bake her fave flave and then get to floral-frost decorating. Icing, icing, baby. (via Craftberry Bush)
5. DIY Floral Swag Garland: Customize this adorable flower garland with mom’s fave blooms and transform any room into a celebration space. Hang on a mantle, adorn a bar cart, or use as a Mother’s Day brunch table centerpiece! (via Lovely Indeed)
6. Mother’s Day Flower Bouquet Corsage: What’s better than a bouquet of blooms? Why, one you can wear, of course! DIY this mini bouquet corsage for the floral-loving mama. (via The House That Lars Built)
7. DIY Map Roses: Repurpose old maps into pretty blooms that will never wilt! These wanderlust roses will add color to any room and may even inspire mom to get her adventure on! (via Pillar Box Blue)
8. DIY Floral Bike Basket: If your mom spends more time on her bike than in the car, this DIY is for you. Create this dreamy bike basket using floral wire to attach fresh flowers and greenery. Make sure to take advantage of your new photo op and snap plenty of pics of your mom on her bike! (via Lovely Indeed)
9. DIY Faux Flower Coat: Surprise mom with this fun and fab faux flower coat. Upcycle an old jacket using dollar store flowers and a hot glue gun. Create patterns using similar colors or varieties, or go for the wildflower aesthetic, like with this coat. (via Studio DIY)
10. DIY Paper Flowers: Fresh flowers are lovely while they last, but, alas, they’ll eventually wilt. Opt for wilt-free paper flowers for your bouquet this year, or create some hanging art to spruce up a plain wall. (via Brit + Co)
11. Edible Flower Donuts: To get this look, garnish donuts with plenty of carnation petals. Otherwise, do your research and add your mom’s favorite flowers to the dish (once you’ve cleared that they’re safe to eat). (via Studio DIY)
12. DIY Modern Floral Monogram Wreath: Decorate the front door with this stunning floral monogram wreath. Pro tip: Use fresh flowers to welcome in a lovely scented breeze every time she walks through the door. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
13. Mother’s Day Printables: Though the printable itself isn’t DIY, the way you can display it is! Once you have your free Mother’s Day print, DIY a frame, then upcycle a vintage plant hanger to hang it with flowers and wire. (via Place of My Taste)
14. Straw Tote Door Decor: Repurpose a vintage straw tote as a decorative flower basket for your front door. Alternatively, choose a new beach tote so your mom can use it later on. (via Sadie Season Goods)
15. DIY Pressed Flower Bookmark: She won’t ever lose her place again with this lovely DIY pressed flower bookmark. Create a wildflower mix or experiment with different patterns and colors. Consider an ombre pattern made of pressed flowers or a variety of textured all-green plants. (via Spalvotas Dryzuotas)
16. DIY Flower Crown: Every #QUEEN needs a crown, so give your mom the royal treatment and DIY this flower one for her. You’ll need crepe paper, floral tape, and floral wire to whip up this romantic accessory. (via Brit + Co)
17. DIY Flower Terrarium: This candle-holder-turned-flower-terrarium proves how easy it is to create your own terrarium without spending big bucks for store-bought ones. Not only is it truly unique, it can also be found at your local crafts store. Just be on the lookout for a glass vessel large enough to hold a small potted plant. (via Shrimp Salad Circus)
18. DIY Mom Floral Backdrop: Mother’s Day is all about her, so make sure everyone knows it by spelling it out on a floral backdrop. This one made of carnations and a white lattice won’t disappoint, and it makes quite the statement. (via Proper)
19. DIY Paper Flower Heart: These crepe paper peonies look like they’re bursting from their heart-shaped frame. If that’s how you feel about your mom, let her know with this super-sweet DIY. If you have a floral scented perfume, spritz the heart once you’re finished for a realistic scent. (via We Love Handmade)
20. DIY Pressed Flower iPhone Case: She may not be the savviest when it comes to technology, but that doesn’t mean she won’t appreciate a nice phone case. Create the prettiest one she’s ever seen by pressing her favorite flowers onto a plain white phone case. (via The Etsy Blog)
21. 3D Flower Photo Art: If your mom’s hallways are decked out with framed photos of you and your siblings, then you know this photo art DIY is the one for her. Choose your favorite photos of you and mom, and use a hot glue gun to decorate with fresh flowers. If you want it to last until next year, there’s no shame in swapping fresh flowers with faux — especially if you DIY paper versions. (via Bespoke Bride)
22. Rose Milk Bath Bomb: Mother’s Day is the *perfect* time to finally give your mom that long-overdue spa treat. Help guide her toward utter relaxation with homemade rose milk bath bombs. Made from rose petals, rose oil, and dry milk, this ultra-soothing concoction will transport your mom into another (heavenly) world. (via A Pumpkin & A Princess)
23. Floral Herbal Tea: While she’s relaxing with that last DIY, it would be so nice to help her unwind with a nice, steaming-hot cup of tea. If your mom is a fan of teatime, create this soothing, caffeine-free blend of floral and mint that she’ll love. (via Homemade for Friends)
24. DIY Floral Chandelier: There’s nothing wrong with displaying flowers in a vase, but why do that when you can hang them from the ceiling? Create the ultimate springtime decor with this whimsical DIY floral chandelier using faux flowers, a wreath frame and wire. Bonus: You’ll save room on table space for Mom’s fave dish. (via Brit+Co)
25. DIY Lined Tray: Deliver breakfast in bed the morning of with a DIY lovely floral lined tray. Spruce it up with the donuts with edible flowers above, and you’ll have nailed the start to a perfect Mother’s Day. (via Christina Williams)
26. DIY Pressed Flower Coasters: This charming craft will bring a smile to Mom’s face every time she sets down her drink (and doesn’t leave a ring, just like she always told you). (via Brit + Co)
27. DIY Spring Flower Magnets: This gift puts a smile on her face in the depths of winter and will outlast even the hardiest orchids through till next summer. And year-round blooms are always a gift worth giving. (via Lulu The Baker)
28. DIY Flower Pot Dessert: It’s a dessert in disguise! Serve chilled ice cream and cookie crumb flower pots — Mom will never guess until you invite her to dig in. (via Petite Party Studio)
29. DIY Block Print Tulip Napkins: There’s something genius about using simple stamps and paint to create a beautiful floral motif on some inexpensive linens. And what mother doesn’t love a good thrifty craft? (via The House That Lars Built)
30. DIY Floral Patterned Notebooks: She’s always writing lists and jotting notes, so give her a cute print notepad that’ll remind her of you every time she pulls it out. (via Maritza Lisa)
31. DIY “Mom” Succulent Planter: You got your green thumb from her, so why not return the favor with a succulent creation that spells L-O-V-E or M-O-M! (via Brit + Co)
32. DIY Mother’s Day Printable Embroidery Gift: Give her the gift of time spent together. Pre-hoop the patten and gift her enough thread for a legit wildflower bouquet. Just when you think her heart has melted? That’s when you bust out a second one for yourself. (via Sarah Hearts)
33. DIY Fresh Floral & Incense Bundles: For the mom who’s the original boho queen, personalized smudge sticks are the key to her heart. Create custom blends or stick to a classic mix. (via Sugar & Cloth)
34. Scented Wax Sachet DIY: These are the gift that keeps on giving: They look beautiful when she unwraps them, and they smell divine wherever they’re hung. (via Sisoo)
35. Fabric Covered Planters: It’s not too late to start this colorful craft! Cover a store-bought pot with her favorite print (or one in colors she’d love), and she’ll never know it was last-minute. (via Sweet Red Poppy)
36. Printable Poster & Greeting Card: Sure, you could just give her the card, but a wall print to match? That’s some next-level gifting. (via We Are Scout)
37. DIY Vinyl Floral Frame: Use your vinyl cutting machine to create the perfect floral crown around framed photos. You could sneak in and redo her faves, or give her some new pics of the two of you. (via Persia Lou)
38. DIY Wildflower Rings: Channel your childhood love for Shrinky Dinks into these playful, colorful rings. Pick your mom’s favorite flower and you’ve got a personalized gift she’ll love. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
39. Flower Cards: Show her how far you’ve come since kindergarten art class. And just like she did with your elementary school projects, we’ll bet she proudly displays these on the mantel. (via Handmade Charlotte)
How will you give your mom flowers on Mother’s Day? Follow us on Pinterest for more creative DIY ideas!
(Additional reporting by Ariel Garneau)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)